El Bug

Started by Sethren, July 02, 2007, 05:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

A word of warning!     :o

Don't visit Southern California. We have 2" Flying Roaches. I was in my kitchen late last night and there it was straight from the bowels of the ugly. Get some brooms, some fire crackers, a gun.      ;D

Will

cocorocha cocorocha lalalalala cocorocha cocorocha lalalala.....la
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

I remember something about these.  But, I remember the scorpions more...and I was only a small boy.

Quote from: Sethren on July 02, 2007, 05:13:40 PM
A word of warning!     :o

Don't visit Southern California. We have 2" Flying Roaches. I was in my kitchen late last night and there it was straight from the bowels of the ugly. Get some brooms, some fire crackers, a gun.      ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

What I remember most were the jackalopes...little buggers.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sethren

Quote from: calico on July 02, 2007, 07:45:38 PM
I remember something about these.  But, I remember the scorpions more...and I was only a small boy.

I have yet to see a scorpion but i have seen the dreaded Potato Bug, once.    :o

jackalopes!     What are those?   

cyphyr

They're not bugs, just some of California's "undocumented features"
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Harvey Birdman

One night back when I lived in Ca, I walked in to my office late one night to find my kittycat playing with a dead scorpion on the office floor.

Even worse are these horror shows called 'wind scorpions'. Just wait till you find one of those wandering around your place.

And 2"? That's nothing. They have these little charmers in Florida they call 'palmetto bugs'. Fancy name for 6" flying cockroaches.

:P

rcallicotte

LOL

Quote from: cyphyr on July 03, 2007, 06:41:41 AM
They're not bugs, just some of California's "undocumented features"
:)
Richard

rcallicotte

So the cat got it?  Cooool.

What's a wind scorpion?

I had a friend from the Amazons (yeah, the place down there) and he said a lot of bugs there were the size of small animals.  Creepy...he said a person could hear them crawling around.

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on July 03, 2007, 07:06:02 AM
One night back when I lived in Ca, I walked in to my office late one night to find my kittycat playing with a dead scorpion on the office floor.

Even worse are these horror shows called 'wind scorpions'. Just wait till you find one of those wandering around your place.

And 2"? That's nothing. They have these little charmers in Florida they call 'palmetto bugs'. Fancy name for 6" flying cockroaches.

Harvey Birdman

Cat vs Scorpion - it was pretty small - maybe an inch and a half stretched out. Still, she earned her keep that night.

Wind Scorpion - it's a primitive arachnid, like a scorpion without a tail. Big, fat (rounder than a scorpion), fast, with 2 little claws up front, and big honking fangs. Always make a serious mess when stepped on.
<edit>
At least I remember them as being fast. I don't know what a nature book would say. AllI know is that when confronted with one of those bastards, it seemed pretty fast to me.   :)
</edit>

Amazon - to hell with that. Gimme the colder climes. Less stuff crawling around and going bump in the night.   ;D

rcallicotte

Harvey Birdman

Yup, those look about the way I remember. Just the cutest little things, aren't they?  :P

Sethren

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on July 03, 2007, 07:06:02 AM

Now you really scared me.     :o     Where bug spray and zappers are ineffective.     ;D

Are you sure there really 6" long?   or is there something that the scientists are not revealing to us concerning size?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4121637.stm
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/entomology/444-288/444-288.html
http://actionpest.com/pests/pest_detail?section=17
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN001

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/cockroaches.html     :P

Harvey Birdman

Sorry, kiddo - didn't mean to alarm ya.

;D

No, I remember them being much bigger than an inch and a half. I'll tell you this, too - that BBC article saying the worlds biggest roach is 4" long? Those guys have never lived in New York. I was in a department store (tagging along, not on my own) - a Filene's Basement, and I saw the biggest roach I've ever seen. They were doing inventory and dragging all these boxes out of a back storeroom, and this monster crawled out from behind the boxes. It was as long as a palmetto bug, but as big around as a mouse. I swear this thing could eat a mouse if it wanted to. Biggest bug I ever saw.  :P

<edit>
After looking at the 'WhatsThatBug' site, I wonder if the ones I thought were palmetto bugs were something else. Maybe a central American roach? Either way, they're freaking disgusting.

"This cockroach seems to inspire more exaggeration than any other; in spite of what anyone says, however, adult American Cockroaches in our area rarely exceed 2 inches in length from the front of the head shield to the wing tips. ( In Florida there is a much larger cockroach, known as the Palmetto cockroach, Blaberus craniifer, which measures up to 3 inches in length.)"

But above that it says palmetto bugs are American cockroaches.  ???  So I only exagerated by a factor of two, apparently, although their measurement doesn't include antenna. (I'm a tellin' ya it was a foot if it was an inch.)   ;D

</edit>

Sethren

There seems to be some confusion from some of these sites about Roach Species with there size and relation to one another.

Who knows what lurks deep down below... gez, that sounds like a bad tag line to a B Movie.    ;D