Foliage Noise

Started by dorianvan, March 08, 2014, 01:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorianvan

I have a moving camera and lots of noise on the smaller details of the foliage. To those of you who run in to this, what system do you use to eliminate this noise? Thanks for any suggestion.
-Dorian

gregtee

What quality setting are you using on your foliage?

-greg

Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

dorianvan

Medium quality, but (and I may be wrong) when ray trace objects is checked, then TG doesn't use the quality setting.
-Dorian

dorianvan

Here's some test comparisons. You can see the noise in the trees a little and the reeds. I'm trying to avoid unnecessarily long render times. With the exception of #6, these all rendered in about the same time.
-Dorian

gregtee

The problem seems to clearly be with the cattails along the banks.  Everything else looks pretty good.  You might try rendering just them with progressively higher AA settings until the problem clears up, but since it's just those models something could be wrong with the geo, or maybe the shaders themselves on those assets need adjusting. 

This is always the fun part of the process, trying to get clean renders. 

-greg

dorianvan

Thanks Greg, I don't mind just increasing things until it clears up, I was just hoping someone had a better way; some setting I haven't messed with. Oshyan did a render for Ulco (Garden of Eternity I think) and his worked at AA8 at PNT of 2, but not sure what all the other settings were. Oh well, onward testing... On a side-note, I hope to get down to DD this summer to see Gid and maybe I'll meet you then ;)
-Dorian

gregtee

Just let me know!  I'm a lifer there!

-greg

Dune

Perhaps the noise is more prominent in the reeds because they're mostly verticals moving behind eachother; you might get some sort of interference. Just a guess.

Oshyan

That's definitely an AA issue and unfortunately the only solution is increasing AA settings. The cattails are problematic because they're so thin and straight, so they're hard to antialias.

- Oshyan

gregtee

Dorianvan, I'll send you some settings I've been using at work on the render farm that render clean.  I haven't however tested them with vegetation yet.  I'll drop you the node in the AM.

-Greg

Kadri

Guys depending on the camera move and the look you want i would try to make the object a little thicker to prevent too much noise.
Maybe by using just a little different object and-or thickening would at least require less AA.