Strata Alternatives

Started by AP, March 09, 2014, 06:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Is there any possible way to rotate a power fractal shader? I am looking into alternative ideas for a very randomized angled strata rock layer.

jo

Hi Chris,

Use one of the Transform shaders.

Regards,

Jo

AP

I plugged the power fractal shader into the transform input shader and altered the rotate on the y axis but nothing has been rotated. World space remained unchecked. If that has anything to do with it.

jo

Hi Chris,

I've attached a project where I used a Transform merge shader to rotate a stretched power fractal by 45º around the Y axis and merge it with the default terrain. I'm not really certain of the ins-and-outs of doing this so if you can't figure it out the best thing to do might be to post a project.

Regards,

Jo

AP

Alright, great. I will see what I can do with this.

AP

I am not seeing any rotation. I think I will go back into using the strata and outcrops shader but I am having trouble with the randomization of the strata lines as they are too uniform. I increase the octaves and they are still uniform, I alter the hard layer spacing and still the same uniformity.

jo

Hi Chris,

Do you mean you aren't seeing rotation with my file? That's odd. I've attached a couple of screenshots. One has rotation turned off in the transform shader and the other has a 45º rotation.

Regards,

Jo

AP

No, I am not. I failed to mention additional details. I had it plugged into a shader layer through the displacement function connection. I am using slope to limited were it is seen on my alpine shader. I can see it but it does not look rotated at all. I might be missing something obvious here.

fleetwood

You could use a contour shader or two as a mask of a power fractal shader to get a strata effect. I would say it requires much more fiddling than the strata shader but it can be done.

AP

The only problem with that is, it will not rotate. I need an angled strata. I am still exploring the strata and outcrops shader so I may have a solution soon I hope.

fleetwood

If you use an extra Compute Normal just before you do the rotate you may get some results.
This image used a contour shader to create ridges on fake stones. It uses a Compute Normal, and then a transform shader with -45 degrees rotation on the Z axis. The first image is with Contour no rotation , the second is with the Compute Normal and rotation .

This may not apply to what you are doing since it is being applied to fake stones.

AP

That is interesting. I will have to explore this. Thank you.