"Fixing" the moon

Started by bigben, July 05, 2007, 06:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Hi All

Had a quick play and managed to work get a moon that is recognisable in our part of the world  :)

Your standard moon texture map is correctly oriented for the northern hemisphere, when the moon is at an elevation and heading of 0°.  Move the moon away from this and technically you have to adjust the texture map to re-orient it (as planet rotation is not possible yet)

[attachimg=#1]
Heading 30, Elevation 8

This might look OK to many of you, but what we see down here in Australia is this:
[attachimg=#2]

To do this I used a simple Panorama Tools script to remap the moon texture map to a new orientation.

p w2500 h1250 f2 v360 u0 n"TIFF"
m g1 i0
o f4 y-30 r180 p-8 v360 a0 b0 c0 d0 e0 g0 t0

The numbers after w and h in the first line are the width and height of the image (pixels)
The other numbers to adjust are in the last line.
y = negative heading of moon
r = rotation angle
p = negative elevation of moon

Technically the rotation angle should also be adjusted according to the moon's position in the sky, but this is a bit trickier to calculate. This simple version at least displays the correct face of the moon

[attachimg=#3]
Heading 270, Elevation 45 showing far side of moon

[attachimg=#4]
Remapped

rcallicotte

LOL.  That's frikking amazing.   :D  Cooool.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

I got sick of running scripts  ;)  and dug up the old Panorama Tools plugin for Photoshop. It still works in CS2 so if anyone's interested I can post the files and brief instructions.

monks

rcallicotte

I'm interested, but only when you have time...

Quote from: bigben on July 06, 2007, 01:57:30 AM
I got sick of running scripts  ;)  and dug up the old Panorama Tools plugin for Photoshop. It still works in CS2 so if anyone's interested I can post the files and brief instructions.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?