Distance shader problem with clouds

Started by Mor, March 20, 2014, 01:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mor

Distance shader doesn't seem to work properly if cloud coverage is increased. The more cloud coverage, the more foggy masked area becomes.
Version is Terragen 3 build 3.1.02.0
Here's example images:

Oshyan

Are you using Coverage Adjust in the Density Fractal or in the Cloud Shader?

- Oshyan

Mor

Dune

If you mask the cloud fractal, coverage doesn't work properly. Hasn't done as long as I know TG. Best to not use coverage, but modify the fractal, or mask the final input of the cloud hsdare instead of the fractal.

Oshyan

I'm fairly sure Coverage Adjust in the Cloud Shader is "working properly" it's just a misunderstanding of how it works. It is adjusting the "offset", i.e. it's adding to the value coming into the Density Shader input. The value range is from 0 to 1, so any positive offset will inherently make the "baseline" (the "darks") greater than 0, which gives a light overall coverage, i.e. this ugly, flat, grey sky. The reason it works better/differently in the Density Fractal noise function is that the fractal generates both positive and negative values, so offsetting it there - before it gets to the cloud layer - produces the more likely intended result of expanding the "light" areas since they are being lifted out of "negativeness".

- Oshyan

Dune

In fact that's what I meant, but it's good you explained better, which I didn't. Perhaps if you'd clamp the colors in the fractal, it 'works better'... don't know really, never tried.

Mor

Thanks for the explanations, really helped understanding a bit more or should I say cleared the sky a bit more :)