Inky's marblesque

Started by inkydigit, April 16, 2014, 04:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Yeah, thats from 2001. it wont even open. corrupted.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on May 27, 2014, 09:02:46 PM
Yeah, thats from 2001. it wont even open. corrupted.

sigh.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Quotesigh.....
sigh.....Im blind? Or sigh.....that it wont work?

Anyway, I already mapped some of it the hard way. Hard to do but easy to understand. Im just going to stick with what I know I guess. Thanks though.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on May 27, 2014, 10:21:05 PM
Quotesigh.....
sigh.....Im blind? Or sigh.....that it wont work?

Anyway, I already mapped some of it the hard way. Hard to do but easy to understand. Im just going to stick with what I know I guess. Thanks though.

that it won't work
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Don't mind Michael,PoseRay is definitely not necessary for a properly
done model.And with all respect to Bobby the method he suggested
wouldn't suit your needs anyway.
I for one use PoseRay for downloaded models that have flaws of some
sorts only.Mainly 3ds models appear to be broken very often and some-
times,not always,you can fix things with PoseRay.
One disadvantage of P-Ray is that you can't keep your model quads.
You can run into trouble with models that have sophisticated UV maps,
opposed to rather simple basic mappings like planar or cubic mapping.
And there is more that speaks against P-Ray to use in ones modeling
workflow or pipeline,at least from my point of view.
If your model is modeled properly there is absolutely no reason to use
PoseRay,or at least I never encountered one so far.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on May 28, 2014, 12:40:05 PM

If your model is modeled properly there is absolutely no reason to use
PoseRay,or at least I never encountered one so far.

Mine were all modeled properly, just not in an app that created U/V mapping...we can't all afford high end systems, or macs with whatever programs it will use....sorry, you touched a nerve of "high end program elitism" I run into often....Just bugs my butt...I could get a Max Crack but then I couldn't sleep at night or live with myself...
Quads are something I'd never run into or been able to create so I wasn't aware of that deficiency in PoseRay..what btw, is the advantage to quads...got me curious as max builders seem to be unable to live without em, always thought that was an abbreviation of Qualudes....hee hee hee, to chill with when modeling got too much.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

inkydigit

Quote from: TheBadger on May 15, 2014, 10:51:23 PM
where in the clip file would I make changes for the size of the object. What I mean is that the texture feels very large on my object. Where do make changes to 'shrink' the scale of the texture so it fits my model better and shows the texture detail as less spread out over the model... If that makes sense.

Hi Michael,

sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been around much lately...
in the second 'darker' power fractal adjust the 'lead in scale' (decreasing this makes the pattern 'smaller')... you can also change 'feature scale' too of course, not much of an answer, and very a late one at that, I hope it helps... feel free to ask again... pm me if you're in a hurry!! ;)
I hope this helps a bit, I'm useless with normals :))
cheers
Jason

TheBadger

QuoteQuads are something I'd never run into or been able to create so I wasn't aware of that deficiency in PoseRay..what btw, is the advantage to quads...

Hi bobby. It depends I guess. But in my workflow I use sculpting and do that in MUd. Mud only takes quads. And in general (as I understand it) Quads sculpt better no mater what.
As far as I know, triangles cause issues in a lot of softwares, but quads can move between softs with less or no problems, again, as I understand it.
one reason I know is two triangles make one quad. So the geometry is less heavy with quads by one vert. So you see that in a huge model, you save space. I think thats right? Anyway. just make a square and see.

What is a max crack? You mean a pirate soft?

@J
Thank you for the clarification! I will skip it for now then, and just stick to what I have experience with.

@inkydigit
THANKS!  ;D lol. I have been distracted by learning all the other aspects to this line of thinking. I had not gone back in and messed with your settings. I did copy your node tree and set up a shader tree of my own. But did not resize that , so had the same problem.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Thanks Michael, I suspected as much but wasn't certain...I never made really huge single models but Grouped many smaller ones together so am hip to the size problems. Really too bad Imagine started as a triangle modeler..a few users used to bitch about that all the time and now I get what they wanted. The work around Imagine had was sub groups os faces which were easy to select which was useful for Image Mapping as we had complete control over image placement via the image axis, and really had no need, within Imagine, for U/V mapping. But all the ones I've tried mapping in PR have responded beautifully.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Talking about high end programs... What about Blender? I never used it, but as far as I know it has a lot of features that high priced programs have. And it's free! So I think proper UV mapping should be possible.
But there might be a very steep learning curve....

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on May 29, 2014, 09:02:58 AM
Talking about high end programs... What about Blender? I never used it, but as far as I know it has a lot of features that high priced programs have. And it's free! So I think proper UV mapping should be possible.
But there might be a very steep learning curve....

I've installed and uninstalled, out of frustration, blender at least 3 times since it was first pointed out to me and I never actually managed to do anything in it. The last time was to convert a DAE model and even that escaped my ability to do...dunno what it is with that program. A friens(in another city unfortunately)uses it very well but I'd need a few hand's on sessions to grok that program and sadly would rather play guitar than  learn a new program right now...summer is festival/music time for me.
It's the non standard/windows style interface it uses...nothing in it is logical/intuitive ...at least to me.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Hey Bobby,don't you remember that I'm the guy that uses Wings3d,a free
program? So definitely no high end elitism.
Have you ever mapped a human or other animals with planar mapping and
got an acceptable result?
Or complex geometric shapes?
I doubt that!
As for the quads I need them for sculpting in ZBrush (here you have it,high end elitism).
And it makes modeling in Wings and other apps easier,since you don't loose track or
your overall picture as easy as with tris.
You avoid the nasty poles and some smoothing problems in some renderers.Etc.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on May 29, 2014, 10:26:35 AM
Hey Bobby,don't you remember that I'm the guy that uses Wings3d,a free
program? So definitely no high end elitism.
Have you ever mapped a human or other animals with planar mapping and
got an acceptable result?
Or complex geometric shapes?
I doubt that!
As for the quads I need them for sculpting in ZBrush (here you have it,high end elitism).
And it makes modeling in Wings and other apps easier,since you don't loose track or
your overall picture as easy as with tris.
You avoid the nasty poles and some smoothing problems in some renderers.Etc.

Heh heh heh, Yup Jochen...Wings3D would be a good choice and it's on my list to learn but ZBrush, well that's a whole other kettle of fish.
There is a program from Impulse who created Imagine called Organica that I might be able to pull off ZBrush results re: human/organic modeling but as it's from Impulse also has no U/V mapping so I figger it's time to just invest in one of the many mapping programs I've had recommended, or does Wings3D supply U/V maps like Blender? That would make just one program learning curve I'd have to shoe horn into my music time.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

I didn't mean you have to get ZB.If you want a sculpting program,though,I'd
recommend Sculptris,it's free and you can use your beloved triangles,in fact
you have to as Sculptris accepts triangles only.
And as I told you sometime ago Wings does UV mappings.
But compared to high end apps or Blender it's not as comfortable as those
in some aspects.On the other hand the learning curve is not as steep and
or nervewrecking as the B app especially.And Wings is very TG friendly!

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on May 29, 2014, 12:42:23 PM
I didn't mean you have to get ZB.If you want a sculpting program,though,I'd
recommend Sculptris,it's free and you can use your beloved triangles,in fact
you have to as Sculptris accepts triangles only.
And as I told you sometime ago Wings does UV mappings.
But compared to high end apps or Blender it's not as comfortable as those
in some aspects.On the other hand the learning curve is not as steep and
or nervewrecking as the B app especially.And Wings is very TG friendly!

No Jochen, I know you didn't but ever since I first saw it I've wanted it...and if it does quads that's a real bonus
re: Wing3D and U/V mapping...sorry my 65 yr old brain ain't retaining as well as it once did. Even more reason to 'bite the bullet" and get my 'wings' hee hee hee.
BTW, don't so much 'love' tris but that's what I grew up with in 3D and am fairly proficient at adding lines and faces to make objects. But I don't love em as I realize they have their limitations.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New