Render error again...

Started by archonforest, June 01, 2014, 11:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Try to render a picture for a test. I set:
Detail: 0.6 and quality: 4 --getting unknown render errors
Detail: 0.6 and quality: 3 --getting unknown render errors
Detail: 0.6 and quality: 2 --getting unknown render errors
Detail: 0.6 and quality: 0 --no error all good.
Hmmm...now this is not a memory error for sure but then what?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

It is. Really. :( I've spent lots of time trying to figure that out. Jo and Oshyan were on constant emergency trying to help me out with this.

In my case problem was solved when I switched to my native system (which is Mac) but if you're running Windows then I don't know what can be done except for installing more RAM.

Can you tell us what do you put into this crashing scene? Some specific models? Perhaps large populations? Large water areas?

archonforest

Nothing special at all. 3 small populations with some trees. But today I was playing a lot with Depth of field. That renders way slower than a normal picture so maybe that was the problem. Otherwise I did a render on a simple dual core machine with 2gig of ram and the whole render was just water with lots of reflection of the sun without any error. That is the reason I think 4gig should not create this problem. Also this is the only file that creates this error. None of my other files were bugging like this. I think I will try to render the same file on my other PC. That got 8gig at least :D

Kadri

I used 4 gb of ram for many years but it isn't much anymore.

With quality do you mean, "Anti-aliasing" ?
Is ray trace objects on?
Which objects do you use?
You should post more about other settings.
Can you post the TGD file?
That is the easiest way probably.

Oshyan

Indeed, posting the TGD file could really help speed up troubleshooting. Also do let us know if the render on the 8GB machine works out.

- Oshyan

archonforest

Quote from: Kadri on June 01, 2014, 04:14:35 PM

I used 4 gb of ram for many years but it isn't much anymore.

With quality do you mean, "Anti-aliasing" ?
Is ray trace objects on?
Which objects do you use?
You should post more about other settings.
Can you post the TGD file?
That is the easiest way probably.

Detail is the normal detail in the render windows. I wrote then quality and that is actually the AA setting. Sorry for that. I post the file here so u can see all the settings. Otherwise I use an Oregon Ash from Zfrog and several bush models from Valli I believe.
Now I just started the render again. Lowered the resolution to 800x500 but still got a black unrendered square. :(

N-drju

So this is definitely not the objects' fault. In my experience, XFrog and Walli's plants are RAM-friendly so to say.

I also have 4GB RAM right now so I guess I'll try to render this myself and see what happens. But first I'll get myself TG3 Freever. ::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Kadri

I have not the objects you used Archonforest but i tested it anyway.
I made a render at  5000 x 3125  without any error.

It doesn't say much but it looks like the problem is related to the objects and-or with your machine (ram maybe) in some way.

Would be good if others who have those objects have a look here too.
The  "Size of subdiv cache in Mb" is 400 in the "Advanced" tab in the "Render 01" node.
How many cores do you have in your computer ?

N-drju

It is not the object's fault. I did a small test by placing roughly 2,5 million of Fraxinus Latifolia and a likewise population of some other user-made object (Terrade's young pine I believe?) and all went well.

Memory is where the problem lies. Check if you have something big n' bad running in the background and shut it down. Maybe this will help a little.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

Thx guys for checking the file. The computer I using to render is a dual Xeon workstation on my workplace. I using it while I work so it doing something useful :D :D It has a dual Xeon cpu and I think the 400 subdiv cache is fine for this setup. Now I rendered the picture also on my new computer at home that has 8 gig of ram. I got no problems at all....

N-drju

Shush! Don't say it out loud or your boss gonna hear... :P

So it looks like 8GB helps. Certainly won't make things worse! As far as objects are concerned, from my own experience I can tell you that objects transferred from DAZ Studio are really memory-hungry. That's because they usually use numerous textures (sometimes even up to 20) and TG probably has trouble loading them at some systems.

Hm, the thing with subdiv cache is an interesting issue. When I was running TG from Windows I had 400 as well. Now that I switched to Mac the size of subdiv cache grew to 800. A good thing probably...

archonforest

Ehh..no worry man...I am working alright...this baby is just calculating for me in the same time :D :D
Yeah subdiv cache grows as you get more cores. My new PC complained that he got only 800Mb cache....I was like excuse me?? ???
TG even said if I leave this amount the render might be slower... :D :D So I pumped up to 1600Mb...not TG is happy 8)