Constructing The Dragon

Started by Upon Infinity, June 25, 2014, 07:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Quote from: Dune on June 27, 2014, 02:59:46 AM
I don't know how your program works, but in Lightwave you can bridge between polygons, so you could cut of parts of the legs and torso and have them blended by bridging. Then adjust smooth transitions. But it might be awkward to get it right.

I'm just waiting to see if I can make the legs better and have them the right shape and size before I commit them and merge it all together nicely.

Upon Infinity

Reworked the back spikes so it doesn't look so much like a dinosaur.  Repositioned the wings and front legs to be more in line with the spine.

Upon Infinity

The wings were harder than I thought they'd be.  Had to redo the wing structure I had built.

Dune

How did you go about making the wingskin? Copy points of the fingers and make another mesh from those? I have to make a tipi, so I have to find out the best way to do that. The idea I just mentioned crossed my mind. Or the FXCloth method in LW.

Upon Infinity

It never occurred to me to use a cloth function.   :-[  I just might have to go back and try that.  But no, I made it like I made much of the dragon so far; started with a primitive.  In this case a cube.  Then I made it really wide and long, and then squished it down to be really thin.  Then I cut away the pieces of the cube that fell outside of the wings fingers.  At this point, I had the wingskin filled in but it was completely flat.  I then used a combination of Move and Smooth to give it the curves that it has. 

Edit:  I added a fourth wingskin, and i'll probably add a fifth.  Took a video this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JV3S3wdqSE

After that, it was just move and smooth.  Or whatever the lightwave\zbrush\mudbox equivalent is.  Sorry about the length.  My free video capturer doesn't support timelapses.  I might breakdown and buy one.

Upon Infinity

Progress. I'd say I'm about 50% done.

Upon Infinity

Detail render...

After an inspirational epiphany, several late nights, and more earl greys than I can count.

yossam

Looks good to me..................can't wait to see it textured.  :)

Upon Infinity

Quote from: yossam on July 08, 2014, 10:03:56 PM
Looks good to me..................can't wait to see it textured.  :)

Yeah, me too.  The raw model is running around 16.6 million polys. Although the exported version will be nowhere near that, I'm hoping I'm not making it so complicated as to be a pain texturing. 

Upon Infinity

Grabbed a neat screenshot while it was realtime rendering.

Upon Infinity

This thing isn't even close to being done.  Although I did throw some quick shaders on it just to see...

Oshyan

It has certainly come a long way already!

- Oshyan

Upon Infinity

Redid the hind legs.  Redid the back spikes (again).  Really running out of inspiration for this model.  Probably going to finish it off for now, and get a working version going and come back to it in a few months.  Still, I think for my first creature model, it went pretty good. 

yossam

Dune

Yeah, it's really 'nice'. Can't wait to see this textured in a TG render!