Ebola coming to Atlanta

Started by yossam, August 02, 2014, 11:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

Why does this sound like a plot for a disaster film....................?

http://news.yahoo.com/american-doctor-ebola-1st-arrive-us-145300793.html

Emory Hospital is about 15 miles from where I live.......... ???

archonforest

She should be treated in Africa and if good bring her back....
Hope it is not a gimmick for something else... ???
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

PabloMack

I saw a news story where a CDC researcher was interviewed about the dangers of bringing someone with ebola to the USA. Of course you all know that the CDC is in Atlanta and I think it has more to do with research than just treatment.

matrix2003

Isn't this how the Walking Dead series started?   ::)

Just kidding! But it is filmed in Georgia. Near the CDC. I hate walkers...
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

TheBadger

I heard a bit of a report that said it is difficult to contract the bug. But I did not hear how it is usually spread.

So how is it spread under "normal" conditions?
This is not among the many things I worry about. But it is interesting, albeit rather sad. As I understand it, it is really painfull to die from this bug. Is that right?

I also did not make the connection between Atlanta and the CDC. I knew it was there but just haven't followed this too much. I do think it would be really great if they can understand and cure this! The world has enough terrible ways to die. We can do without this one. Here's hoping!
It has been eaten.

yossam

The Walking Deads' first episode was filmed in downtown Atlanta. And yes this is basically how it started......the CDC was trying to come up with a vaccine, etc.

Supposedly, it has to be passed with contact with body fluids from an infected person. It is not airborne that I know of. Of course there is always a possibility of a mutation............They will be bringing the 2nd Dr. that is infected here sometime next week.

First symptoms are flu like, followed by organ shutdown, etc. It is really nasty stuff, you basically bleed to death from the inside out.

masonspappy

Quote from: yossam on August 02, 2014, 11:50:32 AM
Why does this sound like a plot for a disaster film....................?

http://news.yahoo.com/american-doctor-ebola-1st-arrive-us-145300793.html

It certainly could be a blueprint for disaster.  With a death rate exceeding 60% (and yes, it is a painful way to die ), this made my jaw drop.
Given the CDC's recent safety record (and those who follow news and current events know what I'm referring to) I can not imagine what kind of insanity - no matter how humanitarian such effort is -  led to the conclusion that these people should be brought into the US.

But I can think of at least one reason for bringing victims into the USA:  if federal authorities feared terrorists might deliberately infect themselves with the virus and then hightail it on a plane to the USA, where they would spread the contagion as much as possible before they dropped. In that case, the CDC would be desperate to have the virus AND the infected people in their labs in hope of developing a remedy before too many people died.

Of course, I could be wrong....

Upon Infinity

Apparently, it can be passed person to person fairly easily once a human has been infected. 

Source is Wikipedia, for whatever it's worth.

TheBadger

QuoteBut I can think of at least one reason for bringing victims into the USA:  if federal authorities feared terrorists might deliberately infect themselves with the virus and then hightail it on a plane to the USA, where they would spread the contagion as much as possible before they dropped.

DAMN IT PAPPY! I said this was something I was not worried about! Oh well, whats one more horrible thing...  :-\ Anyway, I can get to the middle of nowhere pretty fast from where I am. And I like camping and hiking and hunting. I figure as long as the winter is not too bad my family and I can outlast the wave... Thank goodness for global warming :o
It has been eaten.

masonspappy

Quote from: TheBadger on August 03, 2014, 12:16:02 AM
QuoteBut I can think of at least one reason for bringing victims into the USA:  if federal authorities feared terrorists might deliberately infect themselves with the virus and then hightail it on a plane to the USA, where they would spread the contagion as much as possible before they dropped.

DAMN IT PAPPY! I said this was something I was not worried about!
Sorry. I raised two daughters. I'm used to being worried.... ;)

yossam

This just keeps getting better.............reminds me of the movie "Outbreak".

http://news.yahoo.com/us-govt-had-role-ebola-drug-given-aid-223222344.html