SoftImage Is dead.

Started by TheBadger, July 15, 2014, 10:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Quoteunless it is modular and can be bought and maintained in pieces by separate teams.

That is a GREAT freaking idea! So the new maya (or max which ever they keep) Becomes like a software hub. And then programs like TG, vue and realflow (and all the others) could just plug in. So the idea you give me is that, I can work in TG just as I do now, but then I can open maya, and from there open TG inside of maya... Or Modo or whatever... And work with my TG files in a TG environment live in maya.
yeah I know your talking about just the one soft being modular, but all soft should be this way!!!

Ok, so not really an easy thing to do. But that would kick ass. 

I like the competition, I really do. But I wish the competition happened on the same landscape with a common goal. Sorta like the way they add parts to the international space station or something.

QuoteAll of those together (it could be) and you would be lucky if it was under 6000-8000 $ :D
Bringing reality to a dream, is like bringing non-alcoholic beer to a bachelor party, KAdri :P

;D

It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on July 18, 2014, 11:11:33 PM
QuoteAll of those together (it could be) and you would be lucky if it was under 6000-8000 $ :D
Bringing reality to a dream, is like bringing non-alcoholic beer to a bachelor party, KAdri :P
;D

:D

Oshyan

Sure, super flexible, broad modularization would be awesome... but I'm not sure it's feasible in a technical sense, much less an economic or generally practical one. Sounds kind of like an extended version of the old UNIX approach of "pipes" and generally modular (though in that case generally smaller, more atomic) applications. Terragen would "pipe" geometry data to e.g. Maya, or vise verse...

Anyway, it's all fantasy my friend. Alas. :D

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

JimB

I will never buy Autodesk product again. I'd rather get to grips with Blender.

Added: To elaborate, I see nothing in Maya and Max that gives me an advantage over Blender without having to shell out even more money on top or hire a programmer, and if the GUI is horrible in Blender, believe me when I say moving from Softimage3D>XSI>Softimage to Maya or Max after c. 25 years of the bliss that was the Soft GUIs is only a tad less painful. And Blender's free. And Cycles can now bake, and it's free, and it uses the GPU. Did I mention it's free? I'll be losing ICE eventually, so screw it (there was a reason why Autodesk were desperate to make sure you could get ICE particles into Max and Maya), I'll either learn how to programme or get Houdini. Never, ever, ever, ever, put all of your faith into a single company's products, no matter how much they promise you your livelihood is safe in their hands (again and again and again).
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

JimB

Quote from: TheBadger on July 18, 2014, 11:11:33 PM
So the new maya (or max which ever they keep) Becomes like a software hub.

And if Autodesk decided they'd prefer to concentrate on their architectural and engineering product line, everyone's screwed  ;) Autodesk doesn't sell it on, they just bury it.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

goldfarb

if anyone is really interested in a mostly all-in-one, modular approach, I'd say they should really take a close look at Houdini...
ICE was basically an implementation of Houdini's VOPs
check out the tutorials > masterclasses on sidefx.com for some amazing uses of Houdini
and there is some new stuff in v14 that will make Terragen people happy - or so I hear ;)

Houdini Engine allows Houdini tools to used in Maya, Unity and C4D...
and the new Indie pricing is pretty great...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: goldfarb on September 09, 2014, 01:35:14 PM

and there is some new stuff in v14 that will make Terragen people happy - or so I hear ;)

Yesss....go on? ;)

TheBadger

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 09, 2014, 04:33:51 PM
Quote from: goldfarb on September 09, 2014, 01:35:14 PM

Yesss....go on? ;)

What?!
It has been eaten.

goldfarb

can't say but the beta is happening very soon :)
--

Dune

What's Houdini's Indie mean? And how is it priced? I can't get into that site area.

TheBadger

Quote from: goldfarb on September 11, 2014, 02:26:01 AM
can't say but the beta is happening very soon :)

The beta for what is happing very soon?  :P

Dune, its like a hundred dollars per year when I tried it. I did not renew my copy. But some things have changed since I tried it.
If those size limitations for rendering have been lifted I may switch back to it.

+ if there is something going on between Planetside and Side Effects Software, and whatever their doing makes working with TG better...  8)

It has been eaten.

Dune

I'm totally against yearly payments for software. I may not use it for a year....

goldfarb

Quote from: Dune on September 11, 2014, 02:29:26 AM
What's Houdini's Indie mean? And how is it priced? I can't get into that site area.

from the sidefx site

it's basically HoudiniFX (the full version of Houdini) for $199

LIMITED COMMERCIAL LICENSE
Commercial usage of Houdini Indie is limited to following:

The annual gross revenue of commercial entities and contracting entities does not exceed $100K USD
    Commercial entities and contracting entities can purchase a maximum of 3 Houdini Indie and 3 Houdini Engine licenses
    Houdini Indie cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini
    Houdini Indie uses its own file format for saving scenes and assets
    It is restricted to 1920x1080 when rendering out animations
    No third party renderers (PRman, vray etc)
--

Dune