"There is no disk in the drive." Error message

Started by Erwin0265, November 02, 2014, 05:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

Hi all, me again............
Sometimes, when I open an existing tgd file, I get the following message:
QuoteThere is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk6\DR10.
I have the choice to cancel,try again or continue; when I choose to continue (I have to click on it twice as the same error message pops up again), all is fine and my file opens.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing this?
OK, who farted?

jaf

Just a guess here..... did you possibly save the tgd to a drive with a file reference no longer present on your system.

Here's a line from one of my tgd's:
   filename = "E:\GRAPHICS\1_content\1_world machine\myTerrains\TER\11jun13a.ter"

If the path above no longer contains the file, I would likely get the error you got (I didn't test this.)

You could edit the tgd file (I would make a copy of the original first) and do a search for ":\" (without the quotes) and you might find the invalid reference.

[edit] I think I may have "talked" my way away from the problem you wrote about.  It may be you have a reference in the tgd file to a non-existent drive -- maybe a flash drive?  Editing the tgd file as described above should show you all the drive references and maybe you will spot the problem.  Editing the path to the correct drive should work.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

archonforest

Most probaly the change of the drive and location can do this. The handling of Jaf should do the trick ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Erwin0265

I may have put the tgd into another folder within the folder it was already in (ie. I had several tgd's in one folder and things were getting confusing so I organised them by putting them into separate folders accompanied by any associated files).
I have no idea as to how to edit a tgd, so I will definitely make a copy before making a mess of it.............
Thanks for the tips............
OK, who farted?

archonforest

You right click on the tgd file and open it a text editor and then u can edit it
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Erwin0265

QuoteYou right click on the tgd file and open it a text editor and then u can edit it
That bit I understood; it's changing the content to whatever that I am not sure about - hence, making a copy before mutilation of the tgd..............
OK, who farted?

jaf

Quote from: Erwin0265 on November 03, 2014, 05:04:57 AM
QuoteYou right click on the tgd file and open it a text editor and then u can edit it
That bit I understood; it's changing the content to whatever that I am not sure about - hence, making a copy before mutilation of the tgd..............

When you do the search for ":\" on a Windows machine should show all the disk accesses.  You can step through each one and check to see if it's valid (Windows Explorer to check if the full drive/path/file exists.

If you post the tgd I could respond with a list of all disk/path/file references.  :)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Erwin0265

QuoteWhen you do the search for ":\"

Perhaps I am being too literal, but when I try to do a search for ":\", all I get is ":\ is not a valid folder name"...................

Although I am still curious to learn, the tgd appears to have corrected itself - probably due to several more saves and the fact that I haven't been moving stuff around in the meantime......... :D
OK, who farted?

jaf

It should work for you (remember, don't include the quotes in your search criteria.)

Attached is a section of code from a tdg opened in Notepad.  The search criteria was :\ and you can see what line it highlighted.  If I changed the drive letter on my system from D to E, I would get the error message you see.  So what I could do is a search and replace all references like D:\ to E:\ and it should fix the problem.

Erwin0265

To give you an idea of how far off the mark I was in understanding what you meant re "do the search for ":\" "; I did the search using Windows Explorer!
Oh crap! Do I feel stupid!
Ya gotta laugh............ ;D
I get what you mean now, thanks.............. :o
OK, who farted?