TG3: dark image saving issue

Started by Nijryn, November 28, 2014, 11:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nijryn

Hi all,

This is my first post and I was hoping someone could shed some light on a image saving issue I'm having with the *free* version of TG3.1.02.0.

I've been playing with the software for about a week now and starting to get some interesting results, but ocassionally when I render an image, the automatically saved image is darker than the image in the Render View (see attached image and .TGD file / Win7 Snipping Tool has made the image darker still, but it's close enough to see the issue). This is most evident with the images using higher contrast levels (almost like some level of post processing is done at the file save point).

I have tried manually saving the file, though this results in the same issue (tried all export formats). The issue could be compensated for, though surely saving the image is simply taking the video memory, converting it to the selected output file type, and then writing to the hard-drive? Essentially, what is in the Render View is what should be saved, no less, no more.

My system is: Windows 7 64bit pro sp-1, 16GB ram, intel i7-4470 3.4GHz, nvidia gtx760.

The idea was to use TG3 Creative for conceptual world creation as TG3 just feels so easy to use; think what I need is confirmation this is a bug, or something I've done wrong.

Thanks for your time, and regards,
-Nijryn

jaf

I'm not seeing a difference, though I'm not using the free version.  I thought at first one image looked a light bit darker, but then realized the room I'm in had natural lighting coming from the right of my monitor.  I did a flip canvas horizontal (Photoshop) and the seemingly darker one was the opposite image (so the darkness stayed on the same side of my monitor, not with the image.)

Maybe someone with younger eyes can see a difference.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

archonforest

The left picture on your screenshot is darker on some places.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

jaf

Really, I can't see the difference.  I can definitely see the difference in Nijryn's though.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Nijryn

I tried to do a difference map of Jaf's two images to show the differences, but Gimp seems to have trouble moving layers pixel-by-pixel, hence this image has a mild level of blurring because they're not exactly overlaid. I've upped the levels for effect (I would've written a small prog to do a binary comparison as pngs are lossless and output a 2bit image, but it's getting late on this end ;) ).

Thanks for the quick replies -- very much appreciated.

Regards,

Oshyan

I'm not seeing a difference here. Could it be some kind of gamma issue? Maybe your image viewer has gamma adjustment (or doesn't)?

- Oshyan

Nijryn

Figured it out, and it has nothing to do with TG3 (phew).

It's Windows' native image viewer (see attached image). Perhaps as Oshyan says, Windows Viewer has some kind of auto gamma adjustment -- opening the output image with Faststone image viewer gives exactly what is displayed in the Render View (did a difference map with Gimp to prove it).

So ... Faststone is now my default image viewer, and TG3 Creative is definitely on my Christmas list (I can't get enough of the free version, so Creative will be awesome).

Thanks all for the help :)

Best regards,

Oshyan

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it. Faststone is excellent!

- Oshyan