Blackberry Brambles textures and tutorial

Started by zaxxon, April 07, 2014, 12:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

While SpeedTree is pricey, it certainly makes a great companion to Terragen. The textures are my own and are given freely for any type of use. I'll put most of the other ones I'm using up if there's interest.  The screen video shows the SpeedTree workflow shows the making of the object and generally covers a beginner's level walk-through of the software. I'll make a second screen video showing the export/import process from ST to TG later this week. The video is about 21 minutes long (I am a very long-winded fellow  ;) ), hopefully it serves the purpose of showing the ease and flexibility of making foliage suitable for TG. Much of the bushy ground cover in my arsenal was created in this manner. If you want to try ST out there is a 30 eval:http://www.speedtree.com/evaluate-speedtree.php
I'm using Architect 6.2.3, the eval is vers. 7 so there are a few minor differences.  SpeedTree's IDV have burdened the app with a very onerous EULA that in effect claims any meshes out put as the property of IDV and cannot be re-distributed in any way, but that's the topic of another day...

SpeedTree Blackberry Bush Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgaWqCualk

The textures below are a bit better then the video examples  :) .

mhaze

Thank you I'm going to spend a lot of time with this.

mhaze

Brilliant video it will give me a great start.

mhaze

OK, Zaxxon, some models made and all imports ok.  Can you tell me what is the best setting for specular in TG3

zaxxon

Thank you. Pleased that it was useful. The specularity settings that I've used with the spec map provided are the defaults, except for the 'roughness' setting. I usually start with the default 'Reflection' number as the highest value (.09804) and go down from there depending upon the surface, I rarely have tweaked the other defaults, but for me the key has been the 'Specular roughness' value. Jo provides a very informative description in the Planetside Wiki:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Default_Shader_-_Specular_Tab

For the BB leaves I've used a 'Roughness' value of .5.

Another caveat is to make sure all 'cap' objects have been texture mapped, and the 'opacity' slot set wth the alpha box checked. Took me too long to realize that the specularity settings could create all sorts of unwanted small white splotches in the image, I kept looking for uncapped objects, which also create that sort of artifact.

I'll look forward to seeing what you've done!

Kadri

It does have nothing to do with you but with this :
"SpeedTree's IDV have burdened the app with a very onerous EULA that
in effect claims any meshes out put as the property of IDV and cannot be
re-distributed in any way, but that's the topic of another day"
i will certainly not buy their software at all.

Thanks for your support to other users Zaxxon :)

mhaze

Problem is all the plant modellers have the same EULA so you can't win

Kadri

Yes they are stupid mostly.
Not from the software makers point of course.
I actually see the point why they do this.
But still...

I am just at a point where i am making a new thread regarding this because of Zaxxon's thread that i wanted to do since 4-5 months.
(i mean this as a positive influence)
Not sure if and how you all here are going to respond.
But i hope especially 3D model makers like Zaxxon and others here around will find it reasonable and will help ;)

N-drju

I have some doubts of my own concerning these godawful EULA's in 3d modeling so I'll certainly keep a close look at any thread concerned with this. You have one reader guaranteed already. :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Erwin0265

So what happened to this thread?
Looks like it's fallen into a heap..............
Great idea, a start is seen and then it all stops..................Why?
OK, who farted?

zaxxon

Hey Erwin, Thanks for the comments. Not many folks here using Speedtree, so not much inertia. The program is not that expensive (the Architect version is usually on sale twice annually for $345 US), and since I don't intend to sell meshes commercially the EULA isn't a problem. However, since vegetation comprises such a large part of the natural scene, I find it indispensable. I have a number of videos in mind and more custom textures and will let folks know when their online.

yossam

Please do continue...............I am gonna treat myself to Studio for the holidays.  ;D

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on April 08, 2014, 02:19:28 PM

It does have nothing to do with you but with this :
"SpeedTree's IDV have burdened the app with a very onerous EULA that
in effect claims any meshes out put as the property of IDV and cannot be
re-distributed in any way, but that's the topic of another day"
i will certainly not buy their software at all.

Thanks for your support to other users Zaxxon :)

Don't listen to it. That is garben, cause even if you purchase the license, what? You can't release games with SpeedTree? This a court case which would be immediately lost due to money mongering and retaining intellectual property and the creation process.. There is a plethera of websites offering assets from both SpeedTree, and Plant Factory, even Vue, Blender, etc, none of them have had notices or shut down cause it's literally a horrible terms of use. Games release almost monthly using SpeedTree and their meshes, textures, and even default settings.  Even paid for games on Steam using SpeedTree. A great handful on pirated software to begin with creating their games original slenderman game use speedtree and the developer claims to have used free unreal, so would he really have the money for SpeedTree too? And now he has his own business.  Lol Also there is VRA Copyright Laws regarding Fair Use Laws for Teaching, Research, and Study. THen further down to US Laws of Retention through Internetional Laws stating that no software/agency can hold a retention on your intellectual property, whether on private or public computers, and public/private software. That covers ALL software being licensed for sale for Windows/Mac/Linux. Because if they do, they are giving you a gag order, which is highly illegal and only a court can grant.

So lets say I pirate Adobe Photoshop, or I use it at school or a friends. No matter what, the content I create, I hold a automatic intellectual property rights on. And can further that to copyrighted or patented material, regardless of what it was made in. Adobe could not sue me for the art, or assets used. Just the license fee. As regardless of the means, I created it, and it is mine.

Erwin0265

I'm with WASasquatch on this one regarding copyright of assets created in SpeedTree:- they can't just say, "what you create with our software remains our property" (paraphrasing)............
It's like a building supplies company saying, "You used our building materials to build your house and, although you paid for the materials, the house remains our property".
Or, "You used our hammer (which you purchased from us) to build your house; so your house is our property."
Where will such stupidity (In EULA creation) end? You drank our water so now we own you??!

Back to what's important; I have SpeedTree but have never used it (a gift from a well-meaning family member who thought it the same as Xfrog) and am interested in learning more and getting to use some SpeedTree resources in Terragen...........
I still have a lot to learn regarding the use of Terragen but I'va always liked running before crawling anyway............ :D

QuoteI'll make a second screen video showing the export/import process from ST to TG later this week.

Did this ever eventuate? I couldn't find anything other than the first-mention video on your YouTube site..........
OK, who farted?

WAS

Quote from: Erwin0265 on December 09, 2014, 02:00:05 PM
I'm with WASasquatch on this one regarding copyright of assets created in SpeedTree:- they can't just say, "what you create with our software remains our property" (paraphrasing)............
It's like a building supplies company saying, "You used our building materials to build your house and, although you paid for the materials, the house remains our property".
Or, "You used our hammer (which you purchased from us) to build your house; so your house is our property."
Where will such stupidity (In EULA creation) end? You drank our water so now we own you??!

Back to what's important; I have SpeedTree but have never used it (a gift from a well-meaning family member who thought it the same as Xfrog) and am interested in learning more and getting to use some SpeedTree resources in Terragen...........
I still have a lot to learn regarding the use of Terragen but I'va always liked running before crawling anyway............ :D

QuoteI'll make a second screen video showing the export/import process from ST to TG later this week.

Did this ever eventuate? I couldn't find anything other than the first-mention video on your YouTube site..........

I am curious in this as well. Actually why I read through this topic. Haha. Assets conversion is always fun. :( Hopefully it gets up, or we're blind and incapable of adequately functioning a search engine. LOL

Yeah it's similar to Facebook, sure, they can state your profile, and all content posted is their property, but in court it wouldn't hold. Especially regarding art posted on facebook groups/profiles/pages. I have had 3 profiles deleted now off Facebook with no option to recover like usual. All it takes is a well phrased threat. They don't want nothing to do with that, especially in this case, cause you'd win, and if you're seeking any sort of compensation... oh boy. And for small businesses that can be a big impact, especially if it turns into class action via other users who want the same justice. Has ended many of companies. I believe there was a old program similar to Bryce which went bankrupt after lawsuits pertaining to its EULA in the mid 1990's.