spotty haze

Started by ewong, December 08, 2014, 04:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewong

Hi,

I was playing around with the default scene and made some changes to different settings to
see what differences they make.

I've attached a picture which I was working on getting the cloud 'ocean' effect.
But all I got was some puffy (cotton-puffs type puffy) effect.  What exactly is
this effect and how would I change it to make it less cotton-puff puffy and more
cloudy puffy?

Thanks

bobbystahr

Well the image that you have uses Haze when I'd have used a cloud. I made yours smoother by cranking the Detail in the atmosphere from the default 16 to 32 but the effect you're after would be better accomplished with a cloud layer or 2 and much thinner haze. Check out the altered .tgd attached. Also I adjusted the Haze height which was using parameters I'd never considered as haze disappears with height.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

I too would definitely use cloud layers. In particular, I use low-level cumulus layers for this effect, which usually can come off pretty nice with just one cloud layer. I am assuming, however you want a lower atmosphere to signify you are at a higher altitude so I have worked up a TGC for you with a atmosphere. Just replace the current atmosphere with this set and give it a try.

ewong

Thanks bobbystahr!  There's still a bit of spottiness for some reasons. 

WAS

Quote from: ewong on December 17, 2014, 12:18:56 AM
Thanks bobbystahr!  There's still a bit of spottiness for some reasons.

Crank the quality high in quality tab. But this is mainly because this Haze is not the Haze you think it is. Its part of the atmosphere. The Haze you want is a cloud feature, in real life, and in Terragen. Try my sample.

The lower the haze height, the dense it becomes, and the more it acts like clouds, however there is no control of falloff, spread, etc, so it looks like a cloud layer with full sharpness, and no settings  to adjust and I believe works off "planet" size values, so reducing too low creates bad effects -- in particular against high bluesky heights.