handy covvertor for everything

Started by bobbystahr, December 28, 2014, 03:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

For those, like me, who don't think well in metric, here's a converter I use to aid my visualizing.

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

sorry no mac but it says, as an option:

Convert runs quite well on Linux and UNIX using Wine. If you do this, you may need to change the tab layout to use a single row by going into Options > Preferences > Tabs, and clear the Multiple Lines option. ↩
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Now this is handy. Thanks a lot Bobbystahr. I was just trying to find a better approach for plotting the scales of my mountains vs. plants.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 28, 2014, 12:14:52 PM
Now this is handy. Thanks a lot Bobbystahr. I was just trying to find a better approach for plotting the scales of my mountains vs. plants.

My pleasure....going metric here in Canada years back has never really stuck with me. Always find myself converting to Imperial measurements.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Did I mention Mr Lamppost handy utility, Scale Grid Pack, for scaling all things Terragen? Just drop the large one into the area you wish to scale and tweak on for the mountains...never tried with planets..
dl page here:
http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/downloads/objects.htm#rough_tufty_grass
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 28, 2014, 12:54:25 PM

Did I mention Mr Lamppost handy utility, Scale Grid Pack, for scaling all things Terragen? Just drop the large one into the area you wish to scale and tweak on for the mountains...never tried with planets..
dl page here:

You did! And I have been using it. I didn't know exactly how to go about using it for a distant mountain and close objects however. xD

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 28, 2014, 01:31:23 PM

dl page here:

You did! And I have been using it. I didn't know exactly how to go about using it for a distant mountain and close objects however. xD

Basically you need to have the 100 M one loaded first, I was being inaccurate, and then build your scene around it. I often start with that as all the grid stuff can be just switched of or removed later and the project saved as it is (new title.tgd) rather than 100 m grid or what ever it's called...slips my mind atm.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

The best approach is, if possible, determine the objects you want to use, open them in a grid, scale them and save as .tgo with the amount you have to scale up or down in the name; plant_plus2.tgo. For the really huge .obj's import them into the 10 m grid and source in cm in obj options before scaling with the grid. Sometimes it's un necessary to tweak further but y don't know unless you have the grid..
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 28, 2014, 02:00:53 PM
The best approach is, if possible, determine the objects you want to use, open them in a grid, scale them and save as .tgo with the amount you have to scale up or down in the name; plant_plus2.tgo. For the really huge .obj's import them into the 10 m grid and source in cm in obj options before scaling with the grid. Sometimes it's un necessary to tweak further but y don't know unless you have the grid..

I have been trying to save some objects as TGO but can't seem to bring up the feature. Is this not available in TG3 Free version? I right click the object with all it's new settings/colors/etc and I just get the option to save as a clip file. Been trying to figure it out since last night. I've tried the object, the population, even just for giggles the cache node.

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 28, 2014, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on December 28, 2014, 01:31:23 PM

dl page here:

Basically you need to have the 100 M one loaded first, I was being inaccurate, and then build your scene around it. I often start with that as all the grid stuff can be just switched of or removed later and the project saved as it is (new title.tgd) rather than 100 m grid or what ever it's called...slips my mind atm.

And thanks for that, now I think I understand how to use it. Basically  build everything around it, and just remove/disable when done. I was sticking crap inside it and making a 'presentation' of objects to be used. Then.. trying to remove, build the scene and move/populate those objects. Often with bad results or changing something I had forgot about.

bobbystahr

You can only save solo objects never(yet)populations. They're saved sort of as a cache file. Here's a scrgrb to help I hope.
You do it from the node screen.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 28, 2014, 02:37:57 PM
You can only save solo objects never(yet)populations. They're saved sort of as a cache file. Here's a scrgrb to help I hope.
You do it from the node screen.

Yep, I see it. Thanks, really clears stuff up.  Really wish we had a better way of saving grass clumps. I've found a few ways to make somewhat pleasing grass however importing clip files into large projects on the rasberry pi (still waiting on my PSU) kills TG.