Dumb question about render size, I know...

Started by alessandro, January 03, 2015, 04:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

Sorry for the dumbness of this issue I'm having, but I can't figure it out so I gotta ask.
Say I have a render size ratio 2:1 (images attached for reference), but I want to extend the render size on the horizontal size only, so that I include more parts of the landscape.
As you see from the second image, I increased the image width, but it looks like the image height is cropped, while instead I'd like to maintain it as it is, and increase the horizontal space.
Am I looking at it wrong?
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

WAS

I believe the ratio is proportionate as it's suppose to be, which is why the Lock Aspect Ratio tick is there.

alessandro

Ok, but if you go from a ratio 2, to a ratio 3, or simply increase the horizontal width (which is what I basically want), I'd expect to get more render space on the horizontal size.

WAS

I'm not sure what the problem is. I just simply don't lock the aspect ratio.

I think the camera plays a role in auto adjustments as well. If it's simulating a real camera like aperature, I don't think you can really go completely custom.

Basically when I set the height to 80, it showed true 80 height for a second, and then auto adjust to what looks like about 200px in height

Kadri

What you will see from left to right (or height) is depending on the Camera Fov angle.
So even if you put 10 000 x 800 as a image width and height you wont get more from the left and the right side (only more resolution of the same width or height).
Basically put the image height and width first for whatever you want to use and
then change the camera position (go backwards for example) or the zoom (same as Fov actually) or the Fov angle.

alessandro

That's right, I completely ignored that it's camera related. Actually I was zooming off and adapting to cover the view, but I thought I was missing something in the render settings. Thanks for the clarification.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 03, 2015, 05:14:15 PM
What you will see from left to right (or height) is depending on the Camera Fov angle.
So even if you put 10 000 x 800 as a image width and height you wont get more from the left and the right side (only more resolution of the same width or height).
Basically put the image height and width first for whatever you want to use and
then change the camera position (go backwards for example) or the zoom (same as Fov actually) or the Fov angle.

Kudos on that explanation I was trying to think of the terminology but I don't understand cameras well myself.

Matt

The camera FOV is locked to a particular angle either horizontally or vertically, and you can choose which. By default it locks to a horizontal FOV. If you lock the vertical FOV it will do what you want.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.