Downloadable models/scans.

Started by bigben, February 08, 2015, 06:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Sketchfab have provided the option to make models downloadable. They probably won't be the highest resolution models as they're intended for online viewing but there may be some useful props to be found... e.g. British Museum collection pieces: https://sketchfab.com/britishmuseum

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Very nice, but these sites always want you to register... mmmm.

bigben

Can't think of too many that don't require registering.  Smithsonian has some nice models too.
http://3d.si.edu/browser

CyArk http://cyark.org/ have awesome data but you can only get a fraction of the resolution to download without providing a justification. These are mostly large projects with commercial collaboration. [edit]Their site has changed and download links have disappeared. Data usage policy only mentions point clouds (and they only made low res point clouds available)[/edit]

bobbystahr

Quote from: bigben on February 09, 2015, 07:31:36 AM
Can't think of too many that don't require registering.  Smithsonian has some nice models too.
http://3d.si.edu/browser

CyArk http://cyark.org/ have awesome data but you can only get a fraction of the resolution to download without providing a justification. These are mostly large projects with commercial collaboration.

Too bad that Flores Island scene isn't downloadable,by the way,great find Ben . Going for the Carnagie Mansion at the moment
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Couldn't find a dl button anywhere on CyArk though...too bad, was hoping to get Deadwood and New Orleans
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bigben

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 09, 2015, 07:53:26 PM
Couldn't find a dl button anywhere on CyArk though...too bad, was hoping to get Deadwood and New Orleans

Yeah, scratch them off the list, new website and even the low res point cloud links have gone... bit too commercial.... send me a plane ticket and I'll go and scan it for you ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: bigben on February 10, 2015, 04:34:56 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 09, 2015, 07:53:26 PM

Yeah, scratch them off the list, new website and even the low res point cloud links have gone... bit too commercial.... send me a plane ticket and I'll go and scan it for you ;)

Had I a plane ticket I'd go south and model it from life. Not all that far really from where i live...buuuut, it's America which won't let me in....sigh...
The other site's stuff is huge and I still haven't got to the Mansion floor which allegedly is animation ready...all .fbx files but Bryce reads em if TG won't ...I'll just export em as .obj from that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

buuuut, it's America which won't let me in....sigh...

Darn Canadians!  ;) ;D
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on February 13, 2015, 01:05:51 AM
buuuut, it's America which won't let me in....sigh...

Darn Canadians!  ;) ;D

As said on South Park..."Blame Canada!" or Canadians, for not being able to enter USA for a measly fine-able offence 43 years ago that wouldn't even make it to court today in USA let alone Canada.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Oh and everything I did manage to dl from the Smithsonian site is so huge PoseRay won't even open it. That said TG3 for sure won't.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bigben

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 13, 2015, 04:56:24 PM
Oh and everything I did manage to dl from the Smithsonian site is so huge PoseRay won't even open it. That said TG3 for sure won't.

hmmmm, I've played with the mammoth skeleton in TG3 on my home PC (8gb RAM)

bobbystahr

Quote from: bigben on February 15, 2015, 12:55:30 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 13, 2015, 04:56:24 PM

hmmmm, I've played with the mammoth skeleton in TG3 on my home PC (8gb RAM)

Didn't try the skeletons, went with that chair. something else as well but got discouraged by the chair. Will take another run at it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

BigBen,
Do you know if there is a plan for the museums to put their entire permanent collections up, or whats the idea here? Just testing it out or they have made some statment about it all? Very curious about this! If they put everything up, that could be a really awesome learning opportunity, since even in person they will shoot you if you try to pick stuff up and look at it.

I already bookmarked the model of Zeus. I want to use it In my Greko/Roman fantasy scape I have been working on forever now. Cept I am going to use him as Neptune/Poseidon cause Im lazy ;D No one will know, the gods all look the same, on account of all the incest.
It has been eaten.

bigben

To some extent it's still early days for many museums thinking about 3D, although the Smithsonian has a huge ambition to scan "everything".  It would be nice to see at least low res models made available.  As research and education slowly catches up with using 3D data (thinking of my local environment in particular), the demand will grow. Now that there are delivery methods for displaying objects on browsers without plugins/special software they may (hopefully) take advantage of the opportunities this presents.... but for now, I think we just have to be happy with what we get.... or take a camera into the museum and "scan" your own ;)