360-180 degrees stereo 3D panorama for Oculus-Rift

Started by Aerometrex, February 02, 2015, 06:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

If anyone else has a RIFT and wants to test this for me, here's a download link for 2 images (expires 25/3/15) https://cloudstor.aarnet.edu.au/sender/download.php?vid=64551c13-4d6a-d308-639b-000000373519. 2D panorama is here: https://www.360cities.net/image/candor-chasma-peru (yes the Peru thing is weird... it's a quirk of the system and the way I uploaded the image)

TheBadger

BEN!
Mars looks beautiful this time of year. To bad about it not having any air to breath.
2 things about it...

It is interesting that zooming in just a little bit removes the fish eye effect that you get from very wide angle shot. That bowing is something I have seen in just about every rift demo video that I have looked at.
My question is, could there be a way to render that we use a narrower FOV, but in the end put it together in a way that we can keep a more human wide view. IF that sounds strange, I guess just imagine shooting a pano with a 35mm lens, instead of a 55mm lens, for example. When stitching a pano still, its not a problem. So I am just curious if you or anyone can explain a way to render and get rid of the fisheye effect, if that  word can really apply when there is no real lens.

I guess I am asking about some way to trick the system really, or rather the eye at least. I imagine that in the rift, narrowing the FOV would mess up the perception of distance and space if rendering that way would even be possible.

Also, I hope this is still on topic. But why does a pretend lens in 3D have real world problems? Maybe I should know this already, but I don't. So sorry if anyone thinks that is a silly question.

The other thing from the  image I wanted to ask about is the really really unfortunate banding in the sky. Other than using an over cast sky, how can I make sure I don't have this in any of my renders?.. I believe there are threads on this, but I don't recall anyone ever giving the solution, if there is one.

I dont have my rift yet, but I can't wait to se what you made. I downloaded to make sure I have it when the rift gets here.
Hope someone else can take a look and tell us what they see now! But I am looking forward to seeing all of these images and then really being able to see the issues and the results of any fix. I think I really have to see it in context to really understand everything. But thank you for helping to make that possible for me and I hope others too.

And really, that is a great looking image of mars. You can even zoom in to the ground almost all the way, and still have nice crisp details  8)
It has been eaten.

bigben

I'm thinking something like this: 
http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=58228#post58228

That gives you all the features/resolution of the panoviewers with stereo.  I'll have a look at this over the weekend.

embeh

Quote from: Matt on February 12, 2015, 03:20:58 AM
Quote from: Aerometrex on February 02, 2015, 08:43:30 PM
Hi Oshyan,

to generate a 360 degrees stereo pair the left and right cameras have to rotate at the center of the baseline. Stereo vision happens perpendicular to the baseline.
if I only generate a single spherical image for each eye, the stereovision will only happen at one specific spot. What I want is a full 360 degree stereo pair and for that I need to rotate the stereo rig to capture the full 0-360 degrees range.

Here is a paper explaining the concept: http://paulbourke.net/papers/vsmm2006/vsmm2006.pdf

Terragen's spherical camera has this ability built in!  :)

From the release docs:

"Stereo also works with spherical projection. This can render content for Virtual Reality and other panoramic stereoscopic 3D applications. Many popular renderers need special hacks or custom code to render panoramic stereocopic 3D because it is more complicated than simply rendering panoramas from two different camera positions, but Terragen now supports this natively."

Basically, to render the left eye you just click on the "LEFT" radio button and hit render. No stitching required.

How would that work for an entire animation? Do I always have to manually switch between LEFT and RIGHT?

Oshyan

You basically render left and right eyes separately. If you were rendering on multiple machines you could either render all left eye frames distributed across all machines, then all right eye frames, or distribute left and right eye frames among your machines.

- Oshyan