TGD.exe crashes when opening a file

Started by ProjectX, August 03, 2007, 08:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectX

I have a file that seems to constantly crash terragen when I open it. It worked before, but no longer does, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've zipped all the files you need, you may need to reload them though. I believe the mount rainier terrain is bigben's (sorry, I kinda lost track of where the files came from) and the model is the free XFrog Fir. so there should beno problems there, it does enclude a large quantity of clip files I've accumulated over the months.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2idgsu4zxnl

error report thingy generated by vista:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   tgd.exe
  Application Version:   1.8.76.0
  Application Timestamp:   45f7912d
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_f335
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   28dd4724
  OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   2057
  Additional Information 1:   f335
  Additional Information 2:   8a56e5bce8f853d7b156381279cad77e
  Additional Information 3:   42c1
  Additional Information 4:   dc8ad2eac3fa12e65c82c40163186626

nikita

Does it also crash when you immediately pause the preview render?

ProjectX

hmm, I can't test that properly because it has just started working again. Must've been a glitch

bigben

I have had this happen intermittently with some TGDs. Opening the file will crash TG on loading once or twice, but then it opens OK.  Usually a TGD with a relatively complex network, but I can't really pin it to anything specific.

cyphyr

I recently had a repetitive crash with one particular file. Not particularly complex, a series of 6 cumulus layers stacked above the other with an image map as a blending layer. Every time I went to make a change it crashed. So I rebuilt the nodes without connecting them and then joined them one by one from the bottom up. From then on its been fine. I guess you sometimes have to "teach" terragen how to do its thing :) lol
I'll post the file later this evening, maybe you can find some structural similarities ...

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

The "crash on open" bug is generally not associated with any particular TGD. It is semi-random but seems related to how quickly you go to open the file or what you do immediately after loading. It's something we're aware of and are looking into although its semi-random nature makes it a bit difficult to nail down.

If you do come up with a .tgd that crashes reliably every time that is definitely useful to share with us.

- Oshyan