Mt. Belcher nature walk postponed til further notice

Started by fleetwood, July 12, 2015, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Dormant no longer.

Trees (distant) Xfrog and Spruce from Mantissa.

archonforest

I like it. Looks like a serious eruption happened there.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

I like it a lot. I think you need to ad a "twist" to the plume. I am pretty sure that they spin as they rise almost always.

I think from looking at this that it would look much better animated too. I mean, it would really look real, if it were really moving. Not that it looks fake now.
It has been eaten.

Dune

That looks pretty good already! Perhaps some more color variation in the cloud? You sometimes see white and black clouds (steam and smoke) mixed (either use the functions of the cloud node or an extra cloud layer). And like Michael says, maybe a vortex on top of it. And I would enhance the terrain by some deep gullies, erosion like. The subdued colors are great.

Kadri

Looks good.
Just because we know you used Terragen for this image i can not get over the fact that all the clouds are kinda same.
So it is maybe subjective but i would make the other clouds more smooth,different and-or smaller or put them a little farther away.

fleetwood

Thanks for the comments. I'll be trying some changes. Not sure about usefulness of the vortex. In volcanic ash clouds I'm seeing chaotic boiling, roiling, bubbling, rising, but not really vortex, at least not in the sense of the Terragen vortex warp shader with its X Y or Z linear axis.

fleetwood

Before I get to any other variations I rendered this Maxfield Parrish version overnight with altered atmosphere settings.

TheBadger

QuoteIn volcanic ash clouds I'm seeing chaotic boiling, roiling, bubbling, rising, but not really vortex

Someone posted video of the effect in the forum. I had been looking for it, but can't find it now. I may be remembering wrong but I would have sworn. oh well, probably not very important.
It has been eaten.

DocCharly65

When I compare with the clip I see, that there are some additional instances of clouds with less density are needed, right?

But great renders!

fleetwood

Tried to address some of the crits.  Probably introduced new ones. I guess there could be a dawn like this on Earth, if not Mt. Belcher must be on another planet.
Sky tint of my atmosphere is now actually pale green so red decay becomes purple decay. Sunlight is at 14 !

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on July 13, 2015, 02:19:36 PM
Before I get to any other variations I rendered this Maxfield Parrish version overnight with altered atmosphere settings.

Hee hee hee...y nailed old max for sure...care to share that atmo .tgc ?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: fleetwood on July 15, 2015, 08:32:38 AM
Tried to address some of the crits.  Probably introduced new ones. I guess there could be a dawn like this on Earth, if not Mt. Belcher must be on another planet.
Sky tint of my atmosphere is now actually pale green so red decay becomes purple decay. Sunlight is at 14 !

much better with the spill over clouds at the bottom...I'd heed Dune's advice re: colouring...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

fleetwood

One more. More obvious ash cloud color changes. The lavender one has variation also, but most of it is filtered out by the effect of the purple decay.

Antoine

This is looking better and better ! adding rocks of different size on the montain sides would enhance the image in this case.

Dune