Import obj with texture from c4d to terragen 3

Started by thibaultlegrec, August 05, 2015, 03:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thibaultlegrec

Hello everybody!
Im new in terragen (and in this forum). I have a problem...
I would like to import a boat that i created in Cinéma 4D in terragen 3 (free version) with his texture...
When I import my .obj, it is black, just black, no reflexion, no color, nothing. In C4D i had baked my texture.
But when i go to "internal network" from "parts shader" from my object, there are nothing, no mat shader.
Someone to help me? Thanks :)
(I don't speak english very well so sorry for this message :))

Oshyan

Cinema 4D unfortunately does not export all needed information in OBJ format. The OBJ standard requires a .MTL file, along with the .OBJ file, to specify texture locations, colors, etc. C4D does not export a .MTL at all unless you have an add-on/plugin that handles OBJ export better. You would see the same lack of texture issue if you loaded the model in any other program, perhaps even if you load it again in C4D (the OBJ version after export). This is an unfortunate limitation of C4D.

You might try exporting as some other format that and then convert using PoseRay (free tool), Assimp, Meshlab, Deep Exploration, or other 3D model converter...

- Oshyan

thibaultlegrec

Thank you very much for you answer.
Do you have a format which can be converted with PoseRay and which have the mesh+texture in C4D?
After that, the new .obj with PoseRay run directly in Terragen?
Thank again for your help, you save me :).

Oshyan

I am not certain what format would be best, to be honest. Perhaps the old .3DS? Or LWO (Terragen supports only untextured LWO). If you are able to find a format that loads *and shows textures* in Poseray, then when you export to OBJ it should work fine in Terragen. Alternatively, you can try Riptide, a plugin that fixes C4D's limited OBJ export:
https://skinprops.com/riptide.php

- Oshyan

thibaultlegrec

Again thank you for your help.
I will try some different formats in C4D, and if I find a format which work, I'll let you know.
Oh, and Riptide can't work with my version (R13 64bit)...

thibaultlegrec

Nothing works...
No format in C4D work, they are without texture, or just on some spot without bitmap, just color.
I tried Riptide pro demo, but it's the same result  :'( ...

Kadri

Have you tried exporting as LWO (as Oshyan mentioned) and then using Poseray to convert to OBJ ?

Edit: By the way if you mean that the objects do not have textures when imported into Terragen
        you must assign the textures ones again in Terragen to see them.

Oshyan

Are you getting .mtl files when you export? If you are, open them in a text editor and see what the contents is. Also are you using image-based textures?

- Oshyan

thibaultlegrec

Yes I use a lot of image on my textures for the wood planks, the masts etc.
I have a .mtl files with my .obj yes, I will open it this evening.
Kadri: C4D can't export in LWO  :-\

thibaultlegrec

Ok tried to baked my texture before export in .obj with Riptide and the result is better.
It's not that, but they are the colors in good place, everywhere in the model, but there are not the details like wood planks, just brown color.
But it's better!  ;D

Kadri

You can go into the node of the object in Terragen by double clicking on the + (plus) sign on the right side.You will see a parts shader.
When you click ones more on the right side then you can see all the surfaces where you can assign your textures and what not.
You might know this but just in case Thibaultlegrec.

Hmm...i just saw that C4D can only read LWO files.

thibaultlegrec

I had edit my message, C4D can export in .LWO but i don't know why, my version can't.
But it's not important because it works!
Riptide export perfectly when I bake my texture before!
For more details I must increase the output dimensions.
And when I import the model in Terragen 3, it works directly  ;D
Thank all, you are awesome!

Oshyan

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it!

- Oshyan