A few questions. Disable all population ?

Started by Profane, August 22, 2015, 09:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Profane

Hey all, i have been working on this one volcano scene for a while now, and i think it might be the biggest "project" i have done in TG3. But it has gotten me thinking, is there a way to :

1. Disable all objects at once ? I often need to render with and without objects, and it's quite irritating to enable / disable em all over again [nitpicky i know]

2. Lower all quality tabs at once ? I find myself doing multiple renders, some with objects / atmospheres / clouds at max details, and after that when i start fine tuning the errors i found, i need to lower the settings all again, one by one.

3. A simple way to only render the clouds / atmosphere ? So that terragen ignores all population / ground, etc.

4. [totally off topic'ish thing] But can anyone point me to a tutorial about atmosphere ? I don't seem to understand how to manipulate atmosphere to look different at all.

Thanks once again to you helpful terragen wizards who take the time to reply to my odd questions. :) Much appreciated !

Kadri

*1- No nitpick at all. It is very useful and easy by typing the "d" key while a node is selected.
      When you type d it is disabled;press one more time and it is enabled again.
      Select more then one node while "shift pressed with RMB or Use the mouse to selected an area of nodes.

*3- Use the above to disable nodes you don't want to render or have a look at the Planet node, render node.
      There are options for rendering only atmo or surfaces etc.

Profane

Quote from: Kadri on August 22, 2015, 10:05:49 AM

*1- No nitpick at all. It is very useful and easy by typing the "d" key while a node is selected.
      When you type d it is disabled;press one more time and it is enabled again.
      Select more then one node while "shift pressed with RMB or Use the mouse to selected an area of nodes.

*3- Use the above to disable nodes you don't want to render or have a look at the Planet node, render node.
      There are options for rendering only atmo or surfaces etc.

Thanks a ton ! D key is a game changer !! I'm so happy now ^^ !
Any other shortcuts that one should know about ?

Matt

You can see the current bindings by going to: Help -> Mouse and Key Settings
You can customise the bindsings by going to: Edit -> Preferences... -> Input Settings

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

1: As Kadri said, select multiple nodes in the node network by drag-selecting or shift-clicking, then press D (disable). You can enable and re-enable with the same key. You can also disable whole groups, or create new ones and drag nodes into them (even inside other Groups) in order to more easily enable/disable them all. If you want to disable all nodes except the Planet (and Background) then create a new sub-group for all your non-planet object nodes and put them inside it, then you can enable/disable that whole group easily.

2: Cloud and Atmosphere quality is actually relative to main Detail already (when Defer Atmosphere is not enabled). So the best approach in general is to set the cloud qualities where you want them, then adjust Detail to lower levels to get faster preview renders. It's not ideal to adjust the settings for every atmosphere node, obviously because it's time consuming, but also because the actual visual results can change in sometimes dramatic ways between e.g. detail 0.25 and detail 1 or 2. When using Defer Atmosphere, something similar applies, except it's the Antialiasing setting that affects atmosphere quality.

3: This one is easy, just go into the Planet node's settings and uncheck/disable Render Surface.

4: I would suggest looking at the GeekAtPlay tutorial content:
http://www.geekatplay.com/terragen-tutorials.php
or some sample/preset content from NWDA:
http://www.nwdastore.com/

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Also there's *Hide objects* on the object display button at the top of the Preview panel

EDIT

ooops...mis read the query...adequately answered by those who read it correctly tho....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist