Nice case study of Terragen / Unity workflow (by Veselin Efremov)

Started by paq, September 03, 2015, 01:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paq

Hello there,

Just a title update about Atangeo Balancer.
http://www.atangeo.com/

This little baby manage to load a 281.000.000 vertices mesh (Terragen terrain), using 'only' 20 gigs of ram. (the .obj size was about 32 Gb).

Process time (Minutes)
Loading time : 9.04
Vertex merge : 4.26
T-junction : 2.02

After this cleaning you end up with a 93.000.000 triangles mesh.

Structure simplification pre-process : 18.00
% reduction takes then few seconds.

The key here is to hide the 3d viewport, otherwise the display complexity will freeze your computer

Sorry for the little shout out, but this is the kind of developer I like to support.
Balancer is a top quality piece of software, that works like advertised.
And the support is top notch ! (only get one problem since 2 or 3 years)

I wasn't able to use it on Terragen terrain until I understand that multi-threading introduce
overlapping mesh problem in the Micro exporter.

Gameloft

TheBadger

This looks helpful! I looked at the forum dis not see if this works on quad based models. Or if it will translate to quads to tris. Do you happen to know the answer?

Works on OS X too, so really interested in this. $144 for pro (not cheap) regular is 52.00. Not sure what the differences are, no chart on the price page.
It has been eaten.

paq

Hi Badger,

No quad output, I don't remember any 'poly cruncher' that can output quad mesh.
I know Meshlab has an quad remesher, but I'm affraid it will not give any good result.

The only solultion I see is to use zbrush remeshing.

I'm using the 'cheap' version, more than enough for my needs.
There is a chart comparaison here :

http://www.atangeo.com/products

Gameloft

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

paq

So here's a little practical test, using the micro exporter + balancer for vertex merge/T-junction fix and a little poly reduction.

The only limit is the memory needed by Balancer to process the poly reduction.

Original Terragen model was about 270.000.000 points, reduced into 160.000.000 triangles, and rendered in Clarisse.

Gameloft

zaxxon

That is very impressive! I just bought Atangeo Balancer, thanks for the information and examples.

Tangled-Universe

Have been a bit quiet lately, also in this topic, but I'm reading along with all these messages :)

Very interesting stuff and I'm keen on seeing more!

In the end I'd be interested to see your workflow layed out step by step as well Paq, if possible :)

Kadri

Quote from: paq on October 01, 2015, 10:27:37 PM
So here's a little practical test, using the micro exporter + balancer for vertex merge/T-junction fix and a little poly reduction.
The only limit is the memory needed by Balancer to process the poly reduction.
Original Terragen model was about 270.000.000 points, reduced into 160.000.000 triangles, and rendered in Clarisse.

Looks nice.Just curious how big was the file size of the object?

paq

Hi there,

Hi Martin,

Well basically it will be a ripoff from Veselin, except that I replace the Meshlab part with Balancer.
But I will prepare a doc this weekend, there are few tricks here and there to speed up the process I haven't discuss yet. Also at this point I'm more interested to import/render hi quality mesh from Terragen in Clarisse, very different from a Terra to Unity workflow.

Hope someone wouldn't mind to correct the grammar/typo  :-X

Hi Kadri,

Original Terra mesh was about 32gig ... but it require 'only' 24Gb  of memory to process in Balancer.
(dont need any normal or texture coord info).

After the merge and small optimization, the mountain was about 4Gb.
Gameloft

Kadri

From 32GB to 4GB...nice. Balancer looks very useful.
It would be much harder to do in another software probably.
Thanks for the info :)