color change sun

Started by Dune, October 02, 2015, 05:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Did any of you encounter this? I had several times that when adding a second sun (at least I think that causes it), the first sun's color changes hue to slightly green-bluish. I noticed for the first time when I thought my render was so blue, checked the sun et voila, bluish. I had it again yesterday.

EDIT: hey, just tried again, but this time TG opened with a bluish sun. Or is it bluish by default?`Seems like it, never noticed.

fleetwood

I'm getting the blue sun too.
On opening the default scene, I get the sunlight  set to a blue hue of 220 and a saturation of 4 brightness 100.
I had noticed this on my Sandor render but just thought it was was something I had done by accident.

Kadri

Good that you asked this Ulco. I saw it last week too and wasn't sure if it was me who changed it.
I have 6 version 3 Terragen and one version 2.5 installed. Only the v.2.5 opened white.
Funny i don't remember anything about this change :)

Dune

Ah, so I'm not the only one. I also thought I made a mistake somewhere. Maybe Matt intended it, or it's a bug. We'll hear one of these days, I guess.

j meyer

As far as I can remember Matt changed it intentionally a while ago.
Closer to the "real thing" most likely.
Should be in the change log or one of the announcements iirc.

Matt

It's a deliberate change. We don't have a white balance control in the camera, but I wanted to slightly adjust the scene in the blue direction.

Remember that the sunlight is attenuated by the atmosphere in a way that makes it more yellow when it reaches the surface. So even though the default scene's sun is slightly blue, sunlight will still appear slightly yellow at the surface.

It has been said that in real life our sun isn't blue, it's white or yellow-white. But when taking a photograph, how that colour ends up represented in the photo depends on the white balance control in the camera. Therefore there is nothing wrong with starting with a blueish sunlight in CG. [EDIT: since we don't have a white balance in the camera.]

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AP

Yes, i think the sun is considered a yellow-white main sequence star but it looks pure white to the naked eye.

Dune

Thanks for explaining, Matt. I never realized this (I never read anything, that's my fault).

Tangled-Universe

You can really improve a render when saving it to 16-bit TIFF and opening it in Adobe Camera Raw so you can play with White Balance, Tint and the more advance highlight/shadow controls. Not to forget the midtone contrast (clarity).
Lightroom will probably also work, didn't try yet.

fleetwood

You can really improve a render when saving it to 16-bit TIFF and opening it in Adobe Camera Raw  ...
Interesting, great tip - thanks