10m + 1m Cracks...

Started by dandelO, February 06, 2010, 11:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

TheBlackHole

Quote from: dandelO on February 07, 2010, 08:08:02 AM
blue intimidator nodes!
Genius. :D The only thing I ever use those for is combining a distance shader and a cloud fractal shader.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

pfrancke

tempaccount

Excellent learning material. Thanks a bunch!

baizewizard

hypnomedi

nethskie

superb! i'll use this sometime later thanks for sharing!

majidkaviani

thank for great file, i have a basic question. how can you create distribution node with internal nodes
when i add a distribution i don`t see internal node as default
thanks

Dune

Majid, if you rightclick on a node you get a choice; select internal and you're inside that node. usually there's nothing there (unless somebody else put something in), but you can create another node there, or paste one from a copied outside node. Give it an appropriate name (if you have a lot of nodes, put an A in front, so it's at the top of the list). Then go a level up, go to the node again (which now has an internal node, and hover above the input that you need it to connect to (displacement, child, mask, whatever), rightclick and choose the node you're working on, but the one with the network sign in front, click that, then you see the nodes that are inside. click the appropriate one, and it's connected. You see the input triangle disappear.
I hope this makes sense. Once you get the hang of it, it's very easy.

majidkaviani

ok i tried this it was clean and i like it thank you dear :)

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: dandelO on February 06, 2010, 11:19:41 PMHere are the crack shaders that I said I was supposed to have done a couple of days ago.
These files are this .tgd and clipfiles from this image:

There are only 2 different scaled shaders so far; 10m and 1m scaled cracks. I have more that in progress, the thing is, when you get smaller, you need increasingly small(sounds wrong) redirects following the crack functions, I'm playing around with different ideas with the smaller ones, they're not ready yet. Maybe they never will be. :D

So, these ones then. I don't have time or patience to build a scene for them, I'll leave that to you, my full scenes usually suck.
Be warned, placing these BEFORE the main 'compute terrain' node will probably quadruple the render time for these shaders and there will be no visible difference in the output than if they are placed after it. Generally you shouldn't need to put these cracks through the compute terrain, unless you really need to specify their exact coordinates and steep edge slopes later on.

I think they work best(4x as quick) just after compute terrain but before 'base colours', or, the first equivalent colour shader that completely covers the terrain. This isn't really correct TG practice. :D
They don't displace far at all upwards so final surface level is probably negligible in most hobbyist scenes. They simply displace down beneath any surface they're laid over with some small redirects to break them up a little afterwards.
Of course, if you have a super computer then pop'em up top, by all means. :)

You can use the altitude/slope constraints in the main shader. You can also choose to blend the shader by any other shader you want.

The controls for the cracks, if you want to get inside and edit are pretty simple. A 4 node function makes the shape of the voronoi and colour and displacement shaders distort them.
The scale of the cracks is defined by the 'constant scalar'. If you change that you'll then need to move onto changing the following scales by the same factor, there's no point in making the cracks 100m scale and blending them with the '10m crack blender' node, for example. The blender is set to fit each scale. Same goes for the redirect shaders that come last.

Cheers! :)

cracks 10m +1m
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8849.0;attach=22531

@bobbystahr:
I was going on the first post which the rar file is still okay for download.