Ashundar Download Accreditations

Started by Harvey Birdman, August 23, 2007, 02:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-miley

Right... I've got to get my 2p worth in here, as I started the whole thing (sorry Harvey :) ) I must agree with FrankB. I am a real magpie when it comes to free downloadable stuff. I have hundreds of downloaded models sitting on my HD and the vast majority of them I can trace back to the owner, but there are still quite a few that I downloaded and have forgotten to note down whose they are  >:( My fault entirely. Whilst I would still use these unknown files in my work, I would ALWAYS state that the model/terrain etc came from someone else who is unknown AND state that if they would be so kind as to let me know that it was from them, I will ALWAYS add a credit to them ASAP, its the polite thing to do (never mind the legal side of things) As soon as Harvey let me know they were his trees I canged my post here and on my website to give him full credit for the original OBJ files... as I said, its the polite thing to do!

Harvey, are you realy going to sit there and take that kind of abuse from oshyan?  ;D By the way, if you still have the feathers left, i need a couple of pillows re stuffed.......

Ta

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, FrankB was right. It would have been better if I'd put a note in the zips.

re feathers - yeah, yeah. Everyone's a plucking comedian.

;D
I promise to stop now.

mr-miley

Harvey, you must realy stop being such a birden on this user forum....... BIRDen..... get it?...... BIRD en..... can you see what I did there?.... *tumbleweed blows across the stage, sound of wind blowing* 

Is that the time? I realy must be going......
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

moodflow

I kinda dealt with this same demon a few years ago with some resources I downloaded.  I wasn't sure how I was going to sort them, (it was mainly with 2D textures I found online).  Luckily, I never really used them, and if I did, it was just for inspiration. 

I do have plenty of downloaded "foliage" from free sites, but by the time I re-tweak them, they are barely the same item (not to mention I don't recall where I got them).  In fact, I don't think I've even used any of them in my images, so they are just wasting space on a drive.  This does not include the X-Frog free TG2 foliage, which is a dead giveaway in images.

So I guess what I am getting at is, its worth researching and creating your own stuff, while using other's creations as inspiration (or to show what is possible).  Additionally, since procedurally created foliage, terrains, textures, etc are all 100% your own creation, I've gone that route.  However, I am still considering buying some X-Frog models.

How's that for a ramble!?   ;D
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

What I'm hearing is that there is some concern about clip files, too, but I'm not sure I'm worried about it.  Or should we be?  It seems a good way to kill creativity by worrying about what we share in terms of clip files and / or node diagrams.  It would suck (should I even mention this?) that someone might claim some sort of copyright on a TG2 node diagram or on a certain configuration in a TG2 clip file.

Planetside, I hope you have some sort of legal jargon to prevent this sort of foolishness.  If not, let's find a way. 

It's one thing to be honorable and give credit.  It's another to enable cryptic idiocy.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Calico, this discussion was specifically related to items on the downloads sction of the Ashundar web site. Even more specifically, it was related items whose authorship information had apparently only been listed in the description, rather than the author field, and so information wasn't transferred when the site was updated.

I'm not quite sure what was cryptic about it; perhaps you could stoop to the level of my idiocy and explain.

firesuite

Harvey maybe you should name and shame that way these people can then give you credit for your work

Harvey Birdman

No, the people using them hadn't done anything wrong. The correct author attributions no longer showed on the site and, as noted above, I hadn't put anything in the zips.

rcallicotte

Harvey,

I think I mixed this thread with another along the same topic, where someone mentioned something about clip files.  Not objects.  Not yours in specific.  But, it was a generalized thing, which I could have started another thread about.  I didn't think it would be necessary to start a new thread, since this subject is along the same problematic mess.

What I'm talking about is that if Planetside isn't covered for this situation I described, someone could come along and demand royalties for a clip file that I might have used or even altered, if I used this file to make money.  Or maybe someone might go as far as copyrighting a node network solution and demanding royalties based upon this.  If Planetside has something in their licensing that prohibits this, then I don't know about it and suggest it would be nice to cover all of us from that sort of exploitation.

So, it's another topic along the same lines - credit.  I believe in giving credit, but not copyrights for clip files or node network solutions. 

If I wasn't an author and didn't work in the computer field, I wouldn't have seen so many knuckleheads claiming rights they didn't have.  And that, Harvey, has nothing to do with you, since you deserve acknowledgement for the objects you made.  (I want to learn xFrog, someday).

<Whew>  Are we all confused?   :P

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on August 24, 2007, 05:18:06 PM
Calico, this discussion was specifically related to items on the downloads sction of the Ashundar web site. Even more specifically, it was related items whose authorship information had apparently only been listed in the description, rather than the author field, and so information wasn't transferred when the site was updated.

I'm not quite sure what was cryptic about it; perhaps you could stoop to the level of my idiocy and explain.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?