I'm a geologist - Here to help

Started by WebbGeoscience, November 16, 2015, 05:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WebbGeoscience

Hi everybody,

I'm a professional geoscientist with an interest in terrain design and improving the geoscience input into terrains. I'm a computer game fan and I'm often "disappointed" (for lack of a better word) with the textures and geometries associated so I'm looking to help improve these aspects.
I've had a good chat with Oshyan of Planetside and he suggested I come on here and lend my expertise as a first step.

So, anything you guys want to know geology-wise (from mountains to the texture and patterns in a sandstone), if you are creating a terrain and just want me to have a look and give you some critique on your geology, or if you're looking to develop a tool with a geological process I'd love to help  :D.     

Cheers

Rich

mhaze

Welcome to our forums.  May I respectfully suggest that you have a go with terragen so that you have some understanding of the difficulties.  I for one would find you input interesting and helpful.

Tangled-Universe

Hi Rich, welcome to the forums!

It's really great to see people pop up in forums with a different expertise.
Because frankly, as you have pointed out already more or less, we're mostly just fiddling a bit here with terrains.
Accurate modeling is something you seldomly see here.
I think.

For now I don't have a specific project running which could use your help, but I'm very curious to hear your ideas.

What's your area of expertise within geology?
Do you have experience with coding (geology) models or anything else related to Geology & 3D/Computer Science?

Mick (mhaze) his idea of giving Terragen a go to see what's involved in modeling a terrain is perhaps a good one.
It will at least show you a bit of the difficulties and as experience grows can also learn you what's possible (or not).

You mentioned you're mostly bothered by the geology/texturing in games.
Yet, you ended up here :) How did that happen?

Cheers,
Martin

AP

Welcome to these forums.

I might have some inquiries regarding some of my own projects.

WebbGeoscience

Thanks for the welcome, I shall take your advice Mick & Martin and download Terragen for a play later this evening.

"What's your area of expertise within geology?
Do you have experience with coding (geology) models or anything else related to Geology & 3D/Computer Science?"

I work in the oil industry for my day job as a Geoscientist so I am both a Geologist (rocks) and a Geophysicist (responses of rocks to sound waves, magnetics, gravity etc). My coding of models and 3D computer science is basic (I have some knowledge of Python script), I use a program called ArcGIS which has 3D aspects to it and I work with digital elevation models and 3D seismic data. I have a BSc and MSc in geology and I've always been intrigued by landscape development and the processes behind that, I would say I can help from planet scale through mountain scale down to rock texture scale and the processes that create these.

"You mentioned you're mostly bothered by the geology/texturing in games.
Yet, you ended up here :) How did that happen?"

I've been trying to interact with some computer game developers and not getting very far but a discussion I had led me to check out the Terragen website, I tweeted them then e-mailed and Oshyan gave me an excellent reply suggesting I get involved with the forum.
I think textures are a thing I can help with in the short term (and would have a fantastic impact), a long term goal would be to do with whole terrain creation but I understand that computational power and the aims/end product for the developer are more important leading to realistic looking being an excellent job - something for the future maybe.

Chris, feel free to talk to me about your projects, I hope I can help :)

Dune

A warm welcome from me too. As Mick pointed out, not all rock types are easily made in Terragen. Small scale texturing may not be that difficult, but large scale displacements reflecting realistic ignacious warps and sediments, let alone the more squarish eroded rocktypes, are not easy to accomplish.
I look forward to seeing you around in any way.

Hannes

Welcome Chris!
It's great to see that there is someone who knows the facts. Have fun, it's a great forum.

bobbystahr

Woo Hoo, a rock pro...now we're rolling...welcome to the forum from me as well...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

kaedorg