Terragen crashes while rendering

Started by Rumburak, November 18, 2015, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumburak

I have an issue on my main PC while rendering. As long as I do some quick renders, there is no problem at all, but as soon as the process is taking longer than approx. 30 mins, Terragen crashes. The temperature seems to be OK and I have tested it with several other tools that keep all cores busy without any problems.

My system:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-4790K (not OC)
msi Z97 MPOWER Mainboard
16GB RAM
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 780 Ti (OC by default)
I'm using Terragen v3.3 build 3.3.04.0

In Windows Event Log I can find the following entry (sorry, german version, but the Hexcode should be the same ;)):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: tgd.exe, Version: 3.3.4.0, Zeitstempel: 0x55f3df96
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: nvoglv64.DLL, Version: 10.18.13.5891, Zeitstempel: 0x563b6520
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000b50af0
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x7430
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d1223f388c9bdb
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 3\tgd.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\nvoglv64.DLL
Berichtskennung: 171be49c-0053-463a-9f12-c27d60df53a8
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

It's not too bad because most of my large renders I do on my second PC. That takes a little longer, but I can do something else on my main PC. ;)
But sometimes it would be nice to be able to render on the fastest machine that is available.

Patrick

Dune

Maybe it uses more than 16 gigs of memory after 30mins? Lot of objects? You can check out using task manager.

Rumburak

I don't think so, because that should happen on my second PC as well (even earlier, because there are only 8GB of RAM available). And there everything is working fine with the same terragen file (gathered and then copied to both systems). But I will check again as soon as I'm at home.

Rumburak

I tried several things now.
The usage of RAM was pretty stable at 6.5GB, so I don't think the crashes are caused by that.

Since nvoglv64.DLL is pointing towards a problem with my graphics driver, I tried to eliminate some other possible reasons. I gave it a try and closed the 3D Preview before rendering. Now it's running for  about 1.5 hours without any problems. Is it possible that nvidia graphics drivers have some issues with the 3D Preview? Maybe this is just coincidence, but I will close the 3D Preview for the next renders and we will see what happens.

Dune

Might be, Planetside will probably know better, but for big renders I usually close preview windows, and even restart TG (and sometimes the whole machine).

Rumburak

It is still crashing sometimes. It's better with the 3D Preview closed, but the problem is not completely solved.

Matt

The node network view also uses OpenGL. Perhaps try closing that too? And make sure no other shader previews or object previews are open (such as those in the top left of the GUI).

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Indeed, it seems like an OGL issue. If possible update your graphics driver (i.e. if you're not running the latest version). Unfortunately newer versions are not always progressing toward better and more stable, but it's worth a try (with some other applications I see people actually "rolling back" to very specific older graphics driver versions that are known to be compatible!).

- Oshyan

Rumburak

The graphics driver was already updated to the latest version, but there have been crashes with at least two older versions of the driver.

After I had closed 3D Preview and the Node Editor, I had some crashes with different error messages (and some BSOD). Because of these messages I did some further research and I found that I used an outdated version of Logitech drivers. No crashes since I updated these drivers. I don't know, if this will solve the issue, but I wanted to keep you in the loop.

Patrick

Oshyan

Thanks for the update. Very strange that a mouse/input driver would cause such problems! But hopefully that really was the solution. :)

- Oshyan

Rumburak

After a few more renders I would say that the problem is solved. It seems as if the outdated logitech drivers tried to put the USB port to sleep and that ended in crashing Terragen. That's at least my interpretation of the error messages I've seen. Pretty strange, but at least it is working now.  ;)

Oshyan

Strange indeed, but glad to hear you were able to resolve it.

- Oshyan