Command-line rendering and extra output images

Started by sboerner, November 27, 2015, 03:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

I'm experimenting with Terragen's command-line options, with the goal of setting up a series of renders via batch file. (Using Mac OS.)

All seems well except for the -ox (extra output images) option, which I cannot get to work. I would like to have Terragen output the main image plus render elements. But including the -ox option with a path/filename has no effect. Only the main image (defined with -o) is rendered.

If I tick "Extra output images" in the Sequence/Output panel of the Render Node, the render elements are output when the command line is executed. But it does this even when the -ox option is omitted. And when -ox is included, and the path and filename specified in the GUI override those on the command line.

What am I missing?

Matt

"Extra output images" needs to be enabled in the GUI (or .tgd file). The -ox option on the command line should then override the path and filename of those files. Make sure that 'IMAGETYPE' is included somewhere in the filename.

If you use -o, Terragen should acknowledge this by printing a line to the console beginning with the text "Output filename (-o) = " followed by the path and filename you specified.

Likewise, if you use -ox, Terragen should acknowledge this by printing a line beginning with the text "Extra output filename (-ox) = " followed by the path and filename you specified. These lines are printed after the project has loaded, but possibly before other resources are loaded, and before the main rendering begins.

Can you give me an example of the full command line you're using?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

sboerner

Matt -- Thanks so much for your response. I took a closer look at the script and it turned out to be an error on my part. (I'd typed a minus sign "–" instead of a hyphen "-" in front of the -ox flag.) Knowing what to look for in the output was helpful, as well as knowing that "extra output images" needs to be enabled in the main file. Everything is working perfectly now.

I appreciate having the ability to render from the command line. It's just a habit to shut everything down, freeing up as many resources as possible, and render from the terminal. I'm not sure yet if there's a performance gain with Terragen, but it can't hurt.

Matt

Good to know it's all working :) Thanks for letting us know.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.