Saving additional file extensions (sequence/output)

Started by TheBadger, December 01, 2015, 12:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello,

I am rendering cloud animations. I am able to save .tff and alpha simultaneously.
However, I am confused about how to change the output from alpha to just .exr

As far as I can tell, It is saving a non standard image (alpha) and not just an additional rendered image in exr. Though I can change the file extension of the alpha (tiff to exr) I can't see how to change the alpha its self.

I was sure I remembered that this can be done and that there were many discussions about it, just can't recall any of the context of those discussions. Do I need to do this with render layers and not "extra image output"?

Sorry, but I will probably have lots of questions about what I am trying to do now. I have read all topics as they were posted about cloud animations, but understanding those and trying everything is different.

I am getting an ok balance of render time vs quality now for my tests.
It has been eaten.

Matt

In TG3, alphas are rendered as separate images rather than channels or layers within the main image. But I'm not sure if that's what you're asking. What do you want the alpha for? What are you expecting, and how does it differ from that expectation?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

I am asking how to save both an exr and a tiff of the render of each frame in addition to the alpha. Or If I needed to use render layers to save out the extra file.

Right now I can only see a way to save either a tiff or an exr in addition to the alpha. But I had thought that I could do this. SO I was also asking about render layers as being the place to do this.

Sorry for not being clear.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Matt

Yeah, you can use a Render Layer with the element "RGB" turned on. I'd suggest using the .exr extension for the Extra Output Images, so that this RGB element will be output as .exr (and because most of the other element types need to be EXR), and then .tif for the main output.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.