Poseray Batch Texture

Started by WAS, December 22, 2015, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I have a object with a incredible amount of objects/faces. Over 300, I was wondering if Poseray has an option to apply the same maps to all the parts/groups?

Dune

You can move the 'materials' to the groups, so you have less parts. And/or group them according to texture needed.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 23, 2015, 06:19:13 AM
You can move the 'materials' to the groups, so you have less parts. And/or group them according to texture needed.

From what I gather the whole thing is the same texture, besides the eyes. It's a t-800. It's just the model he gives you is a weird MAX file that can't be converted or used by Poseray, so I used the object, which he conveniently doesn't provide the mtl file like most.

So I have hundreds upon hundreds of groups/materials.

www.marek-paterczyk.waw.pl/?show=3dmodelsa

Dune

Then just group all except the eyes in groups, go to materials and turn groups into materials and find the appropriate materials. Then you have 2 groups (which are not important anyway) and 2 materials.

WAS

I was able to do it using the Copy/Paste Material option and highlighting all the materials/groups. Got the eyes nicely colored too.

Now I have a separate question, I guess I'd start here just encase there is a topic I am missing. How does one go about starting to rig object that aren't normal like a human? Is this object worth trying to trig with all the pistons and stuff? Now that I've been searching around on how to rig and pose, I see this object may be more of a "advanced" area for rigging.

TheBadger

Quote...I see this object may be more of a "advanced" area for rigging...

No. It does not work that way really. Based on what you wrote It sounds like it will only be harder because it is not made right.
Its a humanoid figure. It will rig the same. The difference won't be the figure that makes it harder, it is just how much and exacting rigging that you do that will make it harder and if you have to do weighting. There won't be any weighting on a robot because there is no stretching because there is no skin to move when a part moves. Depending on the model this object should actually be easier to rig since you won't have to weight the model.

The simplest way I can think of to rig it would be to transfer a ready made rig. The fastest way I can think of to do that is go to "make human" and use one of their rigs. Or DAZ or poser if you know those.

Then make a bone for each moving part and animate the gizmo for joints of those parts, and you can see how it will work. So two bones for the arm and one joint for the elbow, with no weighting, its pretty easy. Weighting sucks! Fingers and toes will take more time.

You should really only need a relative few joints for it to work. So the ready made rigs in MakeHuman and DAZ should be fine.

I think you can just open your object in either program and start that way. Fit the rig to the model by moving the bones where they should go. Make human is about as easy as it gets.

On the other hand you said the model was kind of disordered and problematic. I personally would not even try to rig a model that was not made right in the first place. Yes I have skinned, rigged, weighted, and animated a model before. IF the model is a messy as you suggested then it may make a lot of sense to build a new one right first. The most important thing I guess is that the moving parts are all separate (not welded) then maybe it won't matter if it is a tris nightmare.
It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on December 27, 2015, 01:29:46 AM
Quote...I see this object may be more of a "advanced" area for rigging...

No. It does not work that way really. Based on what you wrote It sounds like it will only be harder because it is not made right.
Its a humanoid figure. It will rig the same. The difference won't be the figure that makes it harder, it is just how much and exacting rigging that you do that will make it harder and if you have to do weighting. There won't be any weighting on a robot because there is no stretching because there is no skin to move when a part moves. Depending on the model this object should actually be easier to rig since you won't have to weight the model.

The simplest way I can think of to rig it would be to transfer a ready made rig. The fastest way I can think of to do that is go to "make human" and use one of their rigs. Or DAZ or poser if you know those.

Then make a bone for each moving part and animate the gizmo for joints of those parts, and you can see how it will work. So two bones for the arm and one joint for the elbow, with no weighting, its pretty easy. Weighting sucks! Fingers and toes will take more time.

You should really only need a relative few joints for it to work. So the ready made rigs in MakeHuman and DAZ should be fine.

I think you can just open your object in either program and start that way. Fit the rig to the model by moving the bones where they should go. Make human is about as easy as it gets.

On the other hand you said the model was kind of disordered and problematic. I personally would not even try to rig a model that was not made right in the first place. Yes I have skinned, rigged, weighted, and animated a model before. IF the model is a messy as you suggested then it may make a lot of sense to build a new one right first. The most important thing I guess is that the moving parts are all separate (not welded) then maybe it won't matter if it is a tris nightmare.

Well, it's not a humanoid figure in functionality. It's a endoskeleton, based on such. All the piston rams must pull and push accordingly, etc. Nothing like a human.  He explains on the page linked it is a functional endoskeleton down to the pistons etc.

For example, of things beyond endo skeleton, the arms move at the joints, where the center is the connected arm piece, (in the preview above) and is what is rotating, while the two nodes encasing it are welded to the chest and do not move except at the connection to the chest for swiveling. Which is also a contained spinning unit within the casing.

TheBadger

IT is humanoid because it has two arms and two legs and walks up right.
You seem to know better how it goes though.  good luck

It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on December 27, 2015, 05:02:11 AM
IT is humanoid because it has two arms and two legs and walks up right.
You seem to know better how it goes though.  good luck

In a laymens look, it is, but functionality, it isn't. If you rigged it like a humanoid it'd just be warped joints and bars. Where the complication comes in. I don't know how to rig to begin with let alone rig things to slide on a single axis.