Having a weird issue

Started by WAS, January 11, 2016, 12:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

For some reason I suddenly can't limit the altitude to a minimum. If I attempt to limit the altitude at anything seemingly above 0m, it will kill the entire distribution, yet the area in question is beyond 1000m. Even in a the base project scene it does this. If I reduce the minimum altitude into the negatives, suddenly it just pops back up. I don't remember this ever being a issue before haha

Edit: Opening a past project with minimum shader for shoreline also is no longer working

Kadri

Have you tried "Final position" instead of "Position in terrain/texture" and with or without "Use y" ?

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 11, 2016, 12:59:45 AM

Have you tried "Final position" instead of "Position in terrain/texture" and with or without "Use y" ?

Yeah, all combinations. :(

I don't know what would be causing this. It's not like anything in Terragen has been changed besides the addition of Daniil's shader. But I don't see a correlation there. And it was updated last week and the issue is only now just started.

Kadri

I was curious and looked a little more into this.

I might be totally wrong with the interpretation but it looks like there isn't a serious problem.

When you test the "Distribution shader v4 01" with the terrain attached it works as it should be.
I made a different basic test with a default scene and a image map attached and it worked.

The weird behavior can be seen only when nothing is attached to the input.
And it kind of makes sense...
There is nothing it can distribute the mask so you can see the mask only
when limit maximum is over zero and minimum is under zero for whatever reason it might be.
I don't know if this can be made better or not or even needs to be corrected.

If you even put only the default "Base colours" node in the distr. shader you will get the color of the "Base colours" node with minimum checked.

Hard for me to write it down better but there is no problem except a confusing behavior
when you use the node without any real purpose so to speak.
Any terrain attached and it works as it should so far i see it Was.

WAS

Huh, kinda gives no purpose to final position which works on a surface layer with no coordinates (let's say after compute normal for lateral displacement and offsets with all data coming from.the child.) Bit confused still. I also havebt had this issue in the past and never had a input into distribution and was able to get minmums just fine.

When I get home ill post the first island with minimum distribution, the tgd had no input as it was designed last year.

Edit: Well apparently my external HDD fell behind the desk and is now seized and I have none of my projects/objects from the past backed up. Ugh.

I do know I have never once used the input on a distribution shader though and have done plenty of beach scenes, sadly I always give up cause I can't make good waves.

Kadri

I don't remember if it worked or not in the past. I used it always with an input Was.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on January 11, 2016, 03:16:01 PM

I don't remember if it worked or not in the past. I used it always with an input Was.

Yeah I'm using the input now.... Just weird. Even here: [attachurl=1] There is no input and it was working, now I must use the input or there was no population appearing at all like I was mentioning above about the problem. :(

Oshyan

Maybe you just got lucky in the past. I'm pretty sure you need an input so the Distribution Shader knows what it's looking at/keying off of.

- Oshyan