Functional - S03E01 - 03

Started by Volker Harun, January 13, 2016, 03:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

A thread for some images with mainly functions involved. If not stated otherwise without postwork.

This one is based on mogn's setup with perlin noise to make square-ish noise. In fact, it is cubic. The gaps are 2-dimensional, though. The involved functions can be get over here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,5670.msg109907.html#msg109907

The soft shadows do not seem to work properly on the sharp edges. The AA seems to have problems, too. Guess it is time to give the soft minimum/maximum-nodes a chance ;-)

TheBadger

Hi volker! First that light is awesome. And the image its self is plenty fun to look at.

I wanted to point you to some more threads that may save you some time.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,9147.15.html

I think that if you go through this thread and then a couple of others from ulco, than you will save some time. this is one of my favorite topics to watch so I look forward to hearing what conclusions you make and solutions you come up with.

Your renders are quite nice and I have read a bunch of your older threads going years back. So looking forward to see what you do now that you are back in the fun :)

Just posting because of your post in the other thread where you mentioned me. I wanted to make sure you had the work that others already did so you can build on that rather than starting fresh.... incase you did not see it I mean.  :)

Ill tell you right now from my perspective, its all far to complex. Anything you can do to simplify any solution you come up with would be really nice to hear about.
It has been eaten.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Volker Harun

Hey Badger :-) Now you get me ;-) I am too lazy to read all this stuff :-)
At least for the moment.
I am having some ideas that I want to follow first ... and after that, when dissapointment catches me, I will be ready for that input :-D

For now I am going to play with the 'Gain Node'. And on the second machine a plain squarish picture is rendering. It'll be uploaded in 14h or so.

I really appreciate your effort to help me save time ... :-) 

TheBadger

lol
Go get em'!
Errr, tomorrow. Or the next day.
Well, patients is something PlanetSide believes I should learn better anyway. They have been trying for years ::) ;D

It has been eaten.

otakar

Very cool. The jagged edges on the shadows are strange. Can you texture the vertical surfaces properly?

Volker Harun

@otakar ... not with the setup, that I used. I would need to build the nodes in a chain with a compute terrain node above the shader for the 'verticals'. If I succeed, I'll post the file.

DocCharly65

Very cool! and somehow scaring. Remembers me to "The Evil Within"

Volker Harun

Nothing special, just the above mentioned render with more squares.

Hannes

mhaze

Wonderful colours and textures.

archonforest

This is the 8 bit version... :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Volker Harun

@otakar ... S03E01 Directors Cut attached ... shading and displacements on the cubes' sides. Changed a bit the coloring and as mentioned above the function-setup.

bobbystahr

Wow and thanks very much Volker. This added to Clay's rumble rock should nicely fill in the bored spots of my retired day, heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist