Raising a simple shape shader

Started by Erwin0265, October 10, 2014, 07:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Well, they were your settings. Better start with a fresh scene....

Erwin0265

Hi again, Dune.
Thank you for persisting with me; it's very much appreciated.
OK - it works! I'm sure that's no surprise to you [other than, perhaps, me getting it to work - using your tgd of course].
So I copied your settings into my tgd and played around a bit; funny that this method doesn't really produce a distinct circle or square, etc; but then, I wanted it to blend in anyway.
Kind off a bit annoying that the Geekatplay tutorial didn't even mention this as a possible issue (height of the flat area for the lake to come). But, oh well, I guess we can't foresee every possible outcome; especially with Terragen - there are just so many different ways of doing the same thing.
Anyway, I have attached the resultant tgd as well as a test render of the same for any other noobs who may end up with a similar issue (especially if they view the same tutorials - and hopefully know to come here for help).
I have also attached a screencap of my original tgd settings (as posted here earlier) and your tgd which should have the same camera settings (mine is on the left/larger monitor); as you can see, they are very different.
I wonder whether it's possible that going from T3 to T2 and back to T3 again could have done this?
I assume you're still using T2 as you mentioned using a different version..........
It's not a big deal; it just may come up again with other file sharing scenarios.

So, thank you very much,Dune; you've got me back up and running.
Also thanks to others who helped, especially Oshyan.
I'm sure I'll be back in the not-too-distant-future with another sticky question...........
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

Erwin, I'm glad you were able to get it figured out, and thanks to Ulco (Dune) for contributing very helpfully. I do want to get some more info for you on why certain things behave the way they do, but for now I'm just happy you have a solution. :)

- Oshyan

Erwin0265

Thanks, Oshyan.
It would be great to have more info regarding why things work the way they do; it really is the only way to learn and to be able to create.
Anything else is just learning by rote and results in extremely limited creative possibilities.

For some reason, the items I attached in the last post didn't come through so the forum "pixies" have already attached them again for me.............

OK...........it appears that my last post didn't actually come through at all!
I found another way to do this; it's much simpler and also uses the same steps as shown in the tutorial.
Although I can't raise or lower the SSS, I can raise and lower the fractal terrain relative to the SSS!
So if I want the flattening effect to occur lower, I simply raise the fractal terrain (Displacement offset in the displacement tab)....
The attached tgd should clarify (for any other noobies who may end up with the same problem - especially if viewing the Geekatplay Terragen tutorials).
OK, who farted?

jo

Hi Erwin,

The reason for the "wall" around your circle in the LakeView1.tgd example is that you're using displacement relative to the shader position. This is explained in the Simple Shape Shader documentation:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Simple_Shape_Shader_-_Displacement_Tab

Regards,

Jo

Erwin0265

Hi Jo,
I set it to displacement relative to the shader position as this was the only setting that gave me the flat surface I was after.
With the help of Oshyan and Dune, I managed to get what I was after - just don't ask me to do it again without rereading all of the advice as well as watching the relevant Geekatplay tutorial again... ;D

I'm sure I'll get stuck the next time I'm trying for a flattened area; at least I know that I'll have this thread to refer back to and get me going again.
I truly believe you learn far more when you have problems than when everything goes smoothly.............
OK, who farted?

choronr

This reminds me of a recent issue I had where I needed to sink the tires of a truck into a muddy surface. Six ways to Sunday, I couldn't do it. With the help of Dune, I was able to resolve the issue by his suggestions and illustrative file: "raise the terrain".

Erwin0265

Well, I'm back working with Terragen (as I generally do during the hot summer months on days when it's just to hot to do anything outside) and am redoing some of GeekAtPlay's tutorials/projects to refresh my memory (what there is of it).......
I had intended on continuing with TG throughout last year but got rather ill and had to have emergency surgery; along with a 6-month recovery..............
Anyway, back to what's important.............
Again, I got stuck with raising/lowering the SSS and so found my way back to this post to refresh my memory.
The only additional reply after I "had it all worked out", is from you, Choronr......... (Yeah, I know; this thread is getting a little old but it can't hurt to try).
If you happen to still have notifications checked for this thread, you may receive this.......
In that hope, could you direct me to Dune's illustrative file, "Raise the terrain", please?
I've tried a search but that resulted in nil, nada & nothing (I'm as good at searching these forum threads as I am at TG itself...  ::))..
So, back to the tutorials........
NOTE: Please excuse any typos that I have missed; I really need a new keyboard (Mine is one of the first illuminated KB's, Logitech G15 and the paint has worn from many of the keys, making them "mystery keys". It may be a gaming KB but I have only ever used it for digital art as I like to keep the area around my monitors dimly lit to make what I see on the monitors clear and unobscured.........)
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

I'm not clear on what the problem is now. Your last post said you had it resolved? Perhaps Ulco can find this "raise the terrain" file...

- Oshyan

Dune

I don't know. But if you explain what the problem exactly is, I'll have a look. By the way; Choronr (Bob) has sadly passed away last year.

Erwin0265

Oh...........
I had no idea; I had realised from a post I read last week that Bob was the same age as my mother and we almost lost her over the Christmas period due to a simple fall in the bathroom which lead to  subdural and extra-dural haematomas (brain bleeds), due to her age. In other words, life gets so very fragile at that age..............
However, I do believe that Bob will be alive for many on these forums due to his many posts as these don't [fortunately] pass when the author does...........

Lastly, I don't have a problem; I simply looked up this post again (which I have now copied into a Word doc) as I had predictably forgotten how to raise a SSS, and I noticed Bob's post regarding his issue getting wheels to sink into mud and was helped by
Quote"With the help of Dune, I was able to resolve the issue by his suggestions and illustrative file: "raise the terrain". "
So I was curious and wanting to see the mentioned "Raised the terrain" file.
It's no big deal; just curiosity...........
If I have upset anyone, it was most definitely not my intent and I sincerely apologise if my post did upset anyone..........
OK, who farted?

Dune

No problem, if you're not daily here, you may miss things. Good luck.

Erwin0265

OK, who farted?