Feature Request for Clouds

Started by sjefen, August 27, 2007, 01:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Here comes the image-link:

Volker

bigben

I think the duplicate cloud layer has some merit to it.  I also experimented with a duplicate layer with an inverted profile but I didn't take it too far... 

I think the clouds in TG are a bit like nature sometimes too... occasionally I'll see a TG render where I think the clouds are unrealistic only to see a real cloud formation that looks very similar a few days later.

One of the biggest problems I have at the moment is that I do most of my TG work on a laptop and the sky preview is patchy (large patches of black)  My other systems that preview properly are either slower than the laptop or are at work...  I think I'll just have to set a few animated settings for a cloud and let it run while I'm away.

ahhh... nice image... your post arrived just as I hit reply...  the precipitation looks pretty good too.

jo

Hi Ben,

Quote from: bigben on August 30, 2007, 08:09:16 PM
I think the clouds in TG are a bit like nature sometimes too... occasionally I'll see a TG render where I think the clouds are unrealistic only to see a real cloud formation that looks very similar a few days later.

I've found the same thing. I've given up on the idea of saying whether I think a rendered cloud looks realistic or not, because as if I say something isn't I end up seeing something similar shortly after, as you've found. There are certainly particular types of cloud I see in renders which I don't like from an aesthetic point of view however.

One of the biggest problems I have at the moment is that I do most of my TG work on a laptop and the sky preview is patchy (large patches of black)  My other systems that preview properly are either slower than the laptop or are at work...  I think I'll just have to set a few animated settings for a cloud and let it run while I'm away.

What sort of graphics card has your laptop got? I wonder if it's something to with depth buffer precision or something. Have you tried messing with the clip distance? You can use the "[" and "]" keys for this ( decrease and increase respectively ). I'm guessing you've already tried that though :-).

Regards,

Jo

bigben

Quote from: jo on August 31, 2007, 12:49:43 AM
Hi Ben,

What sort of graphics card has your laptop got? I wonder if it's something to with depth buffer precision or something. Have you tried messing with the clip distance? You can use the "[" and "]" keys for this ( decrease and increase respectively ). I'm guessing you've already tried that though :-).

Regards,

Jo

ThinkPad T60 (Mobile Intel 945GM Express) Everything displays fine except for the sky. Hardware acceleration is turned off. Clip distance??

NWsenior07

I've had the same issue. I've got a ATI Raedon 1150 express in a dell 1501 laptop, but old, and comparatively slow home PC does the sky just fine.