Preview and Node graph windows not working

Started by Bluefinger, August 09, 2007, 06:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluefinger

Quote from: Oshyan on August 25, 2007, 08:35:00 PM
Well that's a relief from our end anyway! A bit poor form by ATI to have released a driver with broken OpenGL though. Granted it's not used in the majority of games these days, but lots of professional apps still rely heavily on it, as do many open source graphics-related projects.

- Oshyan

Yeah... I checked with other applications which can use OpenGL for draw functions, and its all the same. A serious fault on ATI's part... and usually they are pretty good with their drivers. Shame really...

reck

I've just uninstalled 7.8 and installed 7.7 but i've still got the redrawing problem :( I've found out it's only a problem on my main monitor, if I drag terragen to my second monitor everything works ok (same with blender) so why would this make a difference do you think? I could keep going back to older ATI drivers but I play a lot of games as well so don't really want to do this.

Can anyone offer any suggetions to what I might alter to get TG2 working on my main monitor? Could it be some setting in the ati control panel?

I know this is probably a ati problem not a TG2 problem but I can't find any info on this when I did a google seach.

Thanks

Bluefinger

Quote from: reck on August 31, 2007, 04:31:45 PM
I've just uninstalled 7.8 and installed 7.7 but i've still got the redrawing problem :( I've found out it's only a problem on my main monitor, if I drag terragen to my second monitor everything works ok (same with blender) so why would this make a difference do you think? I could keep going back to older ATI drivers but I play a lot of games as well so don't really want to do this.

Can anyone offer any suggetions to what I might alter to get TG2 working on my main monitor? Could it be some setting in the ati control panel?

I know this is probably a ati problem not a TG2 problem but I can't find any info on this when I did a google seach.

Thanks

Why didn't I think of this? I have two monitors as well, and I can confirm the SAME effect. OpenGL is broken on primary monitors, but not secondary... that is quite a wierd bug ATI has with their drivers...

reck

Yeah found out by accident. But it seems this didn't appear in the latest driver version as i'm now using 7.7. Before that I hadn't updated for quite some time so dontt know/remember what version I was using before, and this version didn't have this problem.

I think its strange how it's only affecting the primary monitor and not the secondary one. You would think if its a problem with opengl generally it would happen regardless of monitor.

So any ideas?

Bluefinger

Quote from: reck on August 31, 2007, 04:46:26 PM
Yeah found out by accident. But it seems this didn't appear in the latest driver version as i'm now using 7.7. Before that I hadn't updated for quite some time so dontt know/remember what version I was using before, and this version didn't have this problem.

I think its strange how it's only affecting the primary monitor and not the secondary one. You would think if its a problem with opengl generally it would happen regardless of monitor.

So any ideas?

I'm using 7.8, and I also have the same effect with the monitors. As for ideas... send more feedback to ATI as to the nature of the problem? Probably the only sensible thing to do.

reck

I've raised a ticket with AMD/ATI regarding this issue but at the moment they are just sending me auto-replies with unhelpful information. I'll let you know if I get any useful info back.

reck

AARRGGGHH AMD/ATI support are not helping with this problem at all. I raised a ticket with their customer care department and over the last few days I've been sending them information regarding my system and describing the problem i'm having. Today they said they had reviewed the problem and the issue is with Catalyst 7.8 drivers and I should use the 7.7 drivers. Well I'd already installed the 7.7 drivers and it made no difference so I replied to say so and now they've replied to say it's a driver related problem (surely not!!!) and I should submit my comments to the Catalyst crew for their consideration and they have now set my ticket to "problem resolved".

"Submit my comments for their consideration!" I just want some technical support, arrghh. Anyway I've gone to the Catalyst crew support form web page using the link they gave me (http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=486&type=web) and it says the following at the top of the page.

"This is NOT the location for support for your product. Support requests will NOT be responded to.

Submissions to the Catalyst Crew Feedback will NOT be responded to.

If you have an issue that requires a technical response, please contact Customer Care."

If I click the link for customer care I get taken back to the page where I created a ticket. So the Catalyst Crew won't respond to my "comments" and suggest I contact customer care and customer care suggest I give my "comments" to the Catalyst crew who have said they don't respond to support requests. So basically I'm stuck in the middle of two AMD/ATI departments and neither side will help.

What a load of crap. I know this has nothing to do with Terragen at all, but I just wanted to vent some anger about this. I'm going to be installing Vista soon so hopefully this issue will go away. I know one thing after this after this my next graphics card is going to be an nVidia.

Bluefinger

Quote from: reck on September 06, 2007, 04:09:17 PM
...What a load of crap. I know this has nothing to do with Terragen at all, but I just wanted to vent some anger about this. I'm going to be installing Vista soon so hopefully this issue will go away. I know one thing after this after this my next graphics card is going to be an nVidia.

Dude... I've also heard bad things about Nvidia's Vista drivers (unless things have improved). It seems both sides are slipping with their driver releases.

rcallicotte

At the same time, of the two vendors here mentioned (ATI and Nvidia), Nvidia has always had more stability in their software.

Quote from: Bluefinger on September 06, 2007, 04:41:13 PM
...What a load of crap. I know this has nothing to do with Terragen at all, but I just wanted to vent some anger about this. I'm going to be installing Vista soon so hopefully this issue will go away. I know one thing after this after this my next graphics card is going to be an nVidia.

Dude... I've also heard bad things about Nvidia's Vista drivers (unless things have improved). It seems both sides are slipping with their driver releases.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Bluefinger

Quote from: calico on September 07, 2007, 10:25:18 AM
At the same time, of the two vendors here mentioned (ATI and Nvidia), Nvidia has always had more stability in their software.

Well, ATI has Catalyst Control Centre, which is bloatware... sucks a bit, but as for stability, I've never had much in terms of problems (up until now that is with Terragen 2 and such). I think it all depends on one's experience and preference... I've always had ATI cards, so I guess I may be a little biased towards them. Though either way, with regards to Vista, I'm not upgrading for quite a while as I've heard nothing but bad news about it, from both ATI and Nvidia setups.

reck

Quote from: Bluefinger on September 06, 2007, 04:41:13 PM

Well I won't be buying an nVidia card till next summer anyway, by then I hope the drivers will have matured to an acceptable level.

I installed Vista yesterday and TG2 is now working ok again, as well as blender.

Bluefinger

Quote from: reck on September 09, 2007, 05:35:35 AM
Well I won't be buying an nVidia card till next summer anyway, by then I hope the drivers will have matured to an acceptable level.

I installed Vista yesterday and TG2 is now working ok again, as well as blender.

I guess it's a problem that's restricted to XP x64. And if you are gonna buy a card by then, I should think both ATI and Nvidia's drivers would be nicely matured. If not, well then.... go Matrox!

reck

I was using XP x32 before upgrading to Vista. Older version of the Catylist driver didn't have this problem but I can't remember what version I had on before upgrading to 7.8, it was quite an old version though >6 months old.