RGB Masks

Started by alexanderIsaksson, February 15, 2016, 06:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexanderIsaksson

Hey guys,

I just have a newbie question. Is it possible to export masks from Terragen? What I want to do is export my geometry and have masks that I can use in Maya.

Say I have a mountain, I make a 100% red material in Terragen and specify where it should be placed on my mountain using slope /constraints etc, is there any way for me to export it out from Terragen so I then can use it as a mask in Maya?

I hope my question make sense, if it doesn't let me know and I try to explain more.

Thank you!

-Alexander I

Dune

I don't think so, but I've never dived into this, so don't take my word for it. One thing you can do of course is render a topdown view with the masks (each separately or as a combination)  in view, and a maybe black or white planet.

Kadri

Not sure about the question, but technically any image can be used as a mask.
If you make the Terrain black and white or grayscale and render them you can use those rendered images in most programs as masks.
Or the Alpha images or render elements from Terragen for example.

How you setup them depends on what you want to do of course

alexanderIsaksson

Hey Dune & Kadri,

*attached image*

To clarify what I mean, essentially I just want to be able to export the mask exactly the way the red "mask" in the render is, so I can use that in Maya and have a custom shader for only that part.
So, I guess I want to be able to export the material and the way its applied to the geo, as a file(mask). I know you can do it in World Machine but I have no idea how to do it in TG3.

Many thanks,

-Alexander Isaksson

bobbystahr

A quick search of the wiki produced this link under exporting RGB

http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=export+RGB&fulltext=Search

I suspect this is on the render pass but it won't I don't thing export the geometry with materials ...I know that for sure.

Likely world machine does as they are essentially a modeller and to render you have to export to a program like Terragen or Vue or the like.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

There is no native export functionality for textures at this time. If this is a must-have capability, your best bet for now is a top-down Orthographic render with neutral lighting. We do plan to improve export options in the future.

- Oshyan