Colors

Started by yossam, April 20, 2016, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

I am having some problems with matching some colors on a project I just started. I have a color chart from Crayola(crayons) that list all the current colors...........all 120 of them. The colors are listed in hex and rgb values. I used the rgb colors and they are nowhere close to matching the color chart. In the attached pic you can see the lighter colors especially are washed out. Do I need to adjust lighting in TG to compensate. I already have the spec turned way down. The label colors have been adjusted to kinda contrast with the "wax". Help................... ???

From left to right: Almond, Orange, Green, Yellow, Red, Purple, Blue, Gold, White

Oshyan

Lighting can affect things as can Gamma, Contrast, and Soft Clip in the Effects tab of the renderer...

- Oshyan

paq

Hi yossam,

Assuming you are using the default gamma settings (render/effects : gamma 2.2), try to multiply (or divide  :o ) every r,g,b value by 2.2.
(I don't know if terragen accept value > 1)

Edit : Are you using bitmap colors for the textures ?
Gameloft

yossam

The labels are mapped, the "wax" part is straight off the color picker. No maps............ ;)

paq

Oki nevermind,

My first guess was that a gamma related problem with the color picker, but everything seems fine here.

Gameloft

yossam

I went ahead and tried what you suggested paq(divided by 2.2). All the colors look truer to what they are supposed to..............this project just got a lot more complicated. :-\

Matt

If these are web colours, and you're entering them into the Terragen colour picker, then you should leave the gamma correction at 2.2. The issue is probably not the gamma, but the exposure (or sunlight intensity). Terragen's default scene is exposed quite brightly to work well with landscapes and vegetation that are typically low albedo (ability to reflect light, including diffuse reflection). If these web colours get up into the 200s (about #C0 in hex)then they will be massively over exposed. If they do, then I wouldn't trust them to represent realistic albedos.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Quote from: paq on April 20, 2016, 06:49:50 PM
Assuming you are using the default gamma settings (render/effects : gamma 2.2), try to multiply (or divide  :o ) every r,g,b value by 2.2.

Gamma doesn't work that way. It doesn't multiply or divide by the gamma. It raises the value "to the power of" the gamma value (or the inverse of the gamma value).

But your suggestion to divide every value by about 2 is probably a good idea if the colours are too bright.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

To me they looked overexposed in the first one and I'd have adjusted the exposure( the+/- vertical slider in the 3D preview window)first.

heh heh, sorta what Matt said previously...should read all the posts B 4 I post I guess.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist