Terrengen 4 Beta slow and crashes almost everytime.

Started by Keiyentai, July 04, 2016, 12:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keiyentai

I was really excited to hear Terregen for would be faster then 3.x and have been using Terregen since the 0.x days. However I have tried making simple scenes and they take forever and or just straight up crash the program and I mean simple as move the sun, add clouds and color. With my system it kind of blows me a way that a simple scene would do such.

Specs

CPU: Intel i7-950 QuadCore
RAM: 24Gb DDR3
GPU: eVga nVidia GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5
HDD: 750GB internal 1TB External
Dev Machine
CPU: i7-950
RAM: 24GB DDR3
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5
HDD: 750GB Internal, 1TB External

Kadri

It is a Beta so everything is possible.
It works OK on my machine.
You might get other questions,answers.
But just curious is your PC overclocked?

Keiyentai

All stock Speeds atm cause I develop using Unreal Engine 4 and OCing while using UE4 things become very unstable. Also I understand beta but I haven't been able to even get a single "new" feature to work with out crashing. Is there any way yet to offload the rendering to the GPU cause again even simple scene spikes all 8 cores to 100%
Dev Machine

Kadri

You have to wait for Oshyan,Matt probably.

When i worked with scenes the previewer was at 7 cores with 8 cores to use for.
So it is not work 100% all the time. Of course still new to TG 4 not sure.

Just to pinpoint the problem...

Does Terragen accurately find your core count?
If not look at "Edit"+"Preferences"+"Startup" . You can override the automatic cores detected.
I would try just to restrict Terragen to less cores with the help of the Taskmanager in Window too and see what happens.

The GPU part isn't so much used in Terragen (RTP OFF uses OpenGL i think). Mostly CPU.
Have you tried to use working with RTP only OFF and ON for example?
Even closing the Preview and making adjustments by only rendering low quality small images (Just to see if the previewer is problematic.Not a good way to work of course).
Is it the same scene that always crashes?

It might be a problem with Terragen itself of course and i think you know most of the things above already.

Keiyentai

Detact all cores just fine and it's running default settings atm and just slow. I'll mess around with it a bit see if I can figure it out. Just kind of bummed a bit.
Dev Machine

Oshyan

It should not be crashing that much. Our alpha testers, and now many here using the beta, are seeing some instability (to be expected at this stage), but nothing that dramatic.

My first question would be about your graphics card drivers and settings. I don't know if the Titan uses the Quadro driver set, normal Geforce set, or a different one. If it uses a Quadro driver, you may need to adjust settings for best performance and stability. Try updating your drivers as well, if you haven't done so already. Terragen uses pretty simple OpenGL functions but for some reason graphics drivers change support of these basic functions between versions sometimes, and it can cause crashes (it still mystifies me why this happens, why some drivers seem very stable with the same version of Terragen, and another driver version can crash a lot).

As for GPU rendering, no that's not possible at this time. But with a powerful CPU you should be fine. The 950 is a bit older at this point, but should still perform decently.

- Oshyan

KlausK

My experience with TG4Beta is rather the opposite.
I am having a hard time crashing it, actually.

There are some situations which cause noticable delays, and I think that simple environments are processed a bit slower than in TG3.x.
But overall my impression is that this is already quite a stable Beta version.

I`ll be more specific in another post later on.
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)