Pokemon Go

Started by AP, July 17, 2016, 03:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

yossam

I do not understand this................. ???

otakar

zombie apocalyse is here

AP

At first I was perplexed but after reading about this now it makes sense. It is just an augmented reality application for smart phones. The objective being you are supposed to capture Pokemon using random real world locations were ever a Pokemon may reveal itself. What ever Pokemon type is dependent on what the reward is.

yossam

That's not what I meant.........I mean what the hell is the attraction for so many people to go completely nuts over this. Escapism maybe...............not having to deal with the state of the world at this moment. This is not going to change that. There have already been crimes reported stemming from the use of the app,  luring the lambs to the slaughter.  :-\

AP

With the vague reply I would not have known what you meant. No worries though. It is a fad, mostly younger people by the looks of it. That is generally what the mentality of the young is like. Pop culture, the next trend, a new fad... Such things has it's positive and negative circumstances dependent on what the context is along with the cause and effect of the social and economic outcomes. I am certain there is a good degree of escapism there as well. It certainly is an interesting world we live in, no doubt.

Dune

Dangerous developments; there are concerns that people do this whilst driving/riding, not paying any attention to other users of the road, so accidents are imminent. Not my kind of game.

AP

Agreed.

ajcgi

On the plus side, it gets people out and about... with their heads looking down at their screen and not the world around them.
The rise of the smartphone zombie is a terrifying one. I'm a huge fan of natural selection, so if people remove themselves from the gene pool by walking in front of a tram or off a cliff, we're all stronger for it. That being said, not all agree with me:
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/apr/29/always-practise-safe-text-the-german-traffic-light-for-smartphone-zombies

Dune

Traffic lights at street level to accomodate these children; where is the world going  :o

AP

No one should be forced to pay nor accommodate for other peoples bad choices or lifestyles. That is simply rewarding bad behavior and in effect people will never learn to be responsible let alone have any common sense, even respect. As with any technology, teach and show others some safe habits and learn along the way. Voluntarily set an example. I think I said all that needed to be said.

otakar

Just wait till the virtual reality games take off. People sitting in a dark room with their headsets on all day (and night). Stop participating in society.  :(

ajcgi

Yes I perceive anything that encourages sedentarism a bad thing. It's listed by the World Health Organisation as our 4th biggest killer if memory serves. I'm having trouble finding the link for that. It's why I'm all for standing desks and the like, plus just moving in general. It is daft how many companies wait for people to have physical conditions before purchasing ergonomic equipment and the like. Prevention is better than cure.

fleetwood

I was eating my lunch at a nearby city park on Sunday and counted at least 20 game players in half an hour, phones held in front of them. Mostly in pairs and threes. Mostly 15 to 20 looking in age.
They look up from their phones from time to time. I had the image of lemmings going off a cliff or into the pond, but I guess I can understand the appeal of a treasure hunt. This  fad will last as long as the hula hoop did I imagine. But the self directing nature of the software seems a problem. The placement of the "treasures" is being done by software AI as I understand it and needs better guiding principles a long the lines of Asimov's robot rules. Do no harm and do not lead into danger being paramount in my view.
One player narrowly avoided stepping in front of my car as I left the park.

Dune