warp, but not everywhere

Started by Dune, July 22, 2016, 07:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

What Hannes said....Where do you get the time? A scene as complex as that would take me for ever...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

The most complex thing was to hook all masks with 'add color' and 'subtract color', so certain vegetation only resides at certain places. There's the road, river and river dune area as three warped simple shapes, and an image mask with 2 fields and one for small roads and castellum terrain. Outside the dune and river area there's peaty, wet land.
I found out that the creek is no good, it's supposed to be a confluence of a small river at the right side. Which is just another warped SSS added to the river, 2 clicks, and it's there.

Dune

Final for now (with new information), and sorry about the grid, can't publish this big without.

And at the same time a complaint/question; what can be done about the dark artifacts at the water line? Enlarged images, btw. I vaguely remember people mentioning this earlier, and I think it has to do with the shallowness. I might have to do some tests....

bobbystahr

I seem to recall it (water edge problem) being classified as a 'bug' some time back and the verdict is/was we'll get to this....I also experience this and test new versions with water on a shore to see if it got fixed.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

fuzzyEuclid

Amazing work. The colors you managed in that piece are hyper-realistic; highly convincing.

I tried out the water shader issue and sure enough I reproduced it easily, but could not find a way to mitigate it. Well, by adding very small displacement to the land at the water's edge seemed to work, but that's certainly not practical or maybe even possible outside the lab, so to speak. It seems to be connected with the subsurface scattering settings.

There's post-processing. Sorta kills the animation thing.

I tried faking a water surface, but the default shader did not act like I felt it should. Maybe if you imported an OBJ the one attached to that would behave more predictably? That is, import an OBJ instead of using the Lake with water shader? Without subsurf  you could maybe color the landscape beneath to obtain any effects your looking for...? I would test this out myself instead of shooting from the hip, but these people here seem to think they're paying me to work for them instead of just hang out with them... odd, I know.

Edit: [later than evening...] At home. Tried it. Failed completely. SO that's why there's a water shader....

Kadri

Quote from: fuzzyEuclid on July 26, 2016, 02:27:03 PM
... I would test this out myself instead of shooting from the hip, but these people here seem to think they're paying me to work for them instead of just hang out with them... odd, I know.

::)   ;D

Kadri

I looked around and couldn't find now a thread i remember that had bad shadows in the water edges too (it was a planetary scale problem).
That looked more closer to your problem.

I found 3 threads a little close to this but i think you know these already Ulco:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19625.msg193105.html#msg193105
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,14425.msg141065.html#msg141065
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19627.msg193129.html#msg193129

Dune

Thanks for thinking along. I'll do some tests.

EDIT: tests. Higher subdiv settings got rid of the artifacts in the moats, but not the edge line. So I mixed water shader with reflective shader + muted ground colors by mask (merged) and then by altitude mask (depthmerge), so reflective was on shores only.

bobbystahr

Nice work; but doing a water edge ought not to be such a trial...hope that get's fixed sometime.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

ajcgi

That's looking really lovely. Well done on fixing the water's edge. I've had that too. I guess many of us have.

Oshyan

Are you using an Object of some kind for the water?

- Oshyan

Dune

Well, the lake object. I may try a sphere or plane, as a matter of fact.

Oshyan

Turn off shadow casting in the object if it is not already off and then try your original test again to see if the shore still has artifacts...

- Oshyan

Dune

Shadow was off (of course!).