BMW group files suit against Turbosquid

Started by René, August 02, 2016, 07:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Interesting, but for a million dollar car business hardly worth the trouble I'd say. So modellers should alter their 3D cars slighly, so it's not a BMW really  :P

PabloMack

So it looks like BMW doesn't want any free advertising? The 3D models aren't owned by TurboSquid anyway. They are the property of the artists who created them. If BMW would rather have their competitors' cars serve as the icons of wealth in the eyes of the world then so-be-it. Let us strike the name of BMW from all databases and from the minds of all would-be-customers and let their name go into obscurity. It is common for product manufacturers to provide 3D models of their physical products for free for the purpose of their buyers to judge their usability. So let's just not buy anything with BMW's name on it. We don't need (or want) them anyhow.

TheBadger

If true, I think it's kinda strange too. I suppose some of the models may not be perfect, and thus not represent bmw well. Or mor likely, the models are used in production in a way, that someone somewhere is not getting paid what they were before all of this 3D asset availability (probably someone's inlaw or step uncle or some shit ;D)
I guess what makes it strange to me, is that such a large company would chace such small dollars. But then again, with deutsche bank collapsing, the Germans may need every penny. :(
Interesting anyway.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

With 3D printing evolving and scaling to consumer use I can certainly understand the concerns of the design industry. Having worked for a major auto manufacturer (Honda) I've seen some presentations of designs (from jets to outboard motors) bearing the company logos; all done at great expense, all with great expertise. It will interesting to see at what level of detail the patent holders feel the infringement occurs. The brand logos are undoubtedly problematic, but what about vintage cars and other items from the past? Do these design assets ever fall into the 'Public Domain'?  Copyright Law seems to be even more obtuse than Tax Law, witness the "Stairway to Heaven" suit recently settled after years in the legal system. I'm glad that I prefer objects from nature as my artistic work, unless Monsanto has even further evil intentions... >:(