The Rock Essentials

Started by Kadri, August 05, 2016, 11:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

I rotated a non-spherical object along all axis but the displacement will not rotate, only the object itself.

masonspappy

Quote from: TheBadger on August 17, 2016, 11:43:55 PM
From a modelers perspective, the way things are you work on your rocks/objects in TG on the planet. which is kinda silly. I mean why do I need all that other stuff going on to make a rock? There should be a modeling window that dose not have the planet or any node connected to it or the sun or anything, just a grid the rock and the relevant tools and such.

Assuming the above is possible and that we got it, then welcome sublime happiness where the above topics are concerned.

Michael I  kind of agree with you.  I would love it if Terragen could do some of the things I see going on in other software packages, but the truth is that there are things Terragen simply can't do ( or can't do adequately) and you're  really better off learning how to create those effects in other packages and then import into Terragen. I'm not knocking Terragen, just acknowledging that it's not a Swiss Army knife of Graphics.   It's one of the primary reasons I work constantly at learning Blender - it's  painful to have a really good image messed up by an inherent Terragen inadequacy. Take waterfalls, for example.  There have been quite a few attempts in this forum to devise a decent waterfall in Terragen , but the best waterfall I've ever seen here  is still only "kinda, sorta, somewhat" and isn't something I would be happy putting in an image.   So I take the best parts where I can find them (eg, Blender, xfrog, Crazybump, 123DCatch) and assemble inside Terragen.  And so far I've been happy with the results (although I've still got a long way to go with a lot of this stuff).  At least I understand how I got to where I did, which isn't the case with, say,  Blue Nodes.

masonspappy

Quote from: AP on August 19, 2016, 09:00:07 PM
I rotated a non-spherical object along all axis but the displacement will not rotate, only the object itself.

Durn, I was afraid of that.  Thanks for checking! :)

Kadri

You can rotate a displaceable sphere with fractals etc.
It is just kind of tricky and does have one small gotcha. You have to put the origin where the sphere is in the transform node too.
Otherwise the transform node rotates (if you are rotating) the fractals probably around the zero axis.
So you have to translate the fractals were the sphere is to get a real rotation.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing..

Kadri

The animation and file.

masonspappy

Oh wow. Thanks Kadri! I'm one of those people who work much better at seeing how something works (as opposed to just having it described to me) and once I examined your tgd it made sense to me.  Now able to rotate my rock.   :)

masonspappy

So, attached image profiles a few rocks made using various methods.

'A': These are sample Rocks from Andrew Price's collection.  Looks very decent, easy to use and ready to use immediately.  Downside is that the image plates used for texturing aren't available in larger (ie more detailed) sizes, so the resolution here is as high as they will go. (Confirmed that with a followup email to BlenderGuru).
'B':  Some dude.
'C': rock made using internal displacements. I think this is how AP did his. (and yes I'm well aware that AP's experimental rocks are more realistic than what I've got here. It's the concept that counts   :)  )   It's extreme detail makes it first choice for up close, highly detailed  ('Hero') images .  And thanks to Kadri for explaining how to rotate a PF.
'D': A boulder that was made in Blender, imported into Terragen and externally displaced with a Power Fractal. Texturing done with an image file.
'E': Rock made using 123D-Catch (freebie from Autodesk).  It's about 16 photographs of a single rock taken at various angles. The photos are uploaded to Autodesk website (it's free), are processed into a single 3D .OBJ file which gets downloaded to PC.  Had to clean up the .OBJ file with Blender to get rid of image  parts that aren't need, but result was pretty decent.  It's detail and usability are about on par with sample rocks in 'A'.  Only downside   (besides lack of extreme detail) is that 123D-Catch is going away at some point and I haven't played with the replacement product yet.

Kadri

Quote from: masonspappy on August 20, 2016, 07:23:10 AM
... I'm one of those people who work much better at seeing how something works (as opposed to just having it described to me)...

Me too :)

C looks promising.

From the look at his page the A rock looks too much different.
Seems different then only a image size problem. Curious. Does he use normal maps i wonder?