New Update Cropping bug

Started by ovaflo, September 08, 2007, 12:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovaflo

I got the new update that was released today(9/7) for pre-purchasers and opened up a scene I've been working on. I wanted to crop a scene to get a specific are Im working on when I noticed it didnt work. So I saved and started a new file to see if it worked then and it stayed the same. Basically, it always crops from the bottom to top for me. Never top down. If other pre-purchasers could check to see if they have a simliar problem, just to see if its a personal thing or its an actual bug. Also, it probably makes a difference so, I'm using an Intel Mac os 10.

Tangled-Universe

It seems you're using the "same" settings in both situations.
In the first situation you cropped the right side and the upper half of the image by half, resulting in a render of the lower left quadrant. That's correct and renders correct as well.
In the second situation you cropped the right side as well, but then you've fully cropped the top and cropped the bottom by half.
Now the bottom crop became the top crop and that's not going to work. Render turns black. The sliders from each dimension aren't allowed to intersect/pass eachother, I think.

Basically you use the crop function as follow:
Crop left/bottom: 0 - 0.5
Crop right/top: 1 - 0.5

So if you want to crop top down you must leave the crop top setting for what it is and only increase the crop bottom value to 0.5, for example. This should work. At least it does here  ;)

Regards,
Martin

JohnnyBoy

It does look like a bug, but I have no problem on Windows.

ovaflo

@Tangled

It's possible it's only a mac bug then. I tried what you said but you didnt specify what Os you had. But for me it doesnt matter what values I put into any of the input boxes for cropping. It only goes from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner.

jo

Hi ovaflo,

There are no bugs regarding this in the Mac version, it works fine. I think the problems you are having are because you don't quite get how the cropping works. Some what counterintuitively, to my mind, the crop origin is in the bottom left hand corner with coordinates increasing bottom to top and left to right.

Both of the crop areas that you've defined cover the same area. The difference in them is that with one you've got the top lower than the bottom. TG2 doesn't check to see if you've kind of "inverted" the crop area.

Stick in these values :

left = 0.5
right = 0.6
bottom = 0.5
top = 0.6

You'll see that a small area in the top right quadrant of the image is cropped out.

I personally think the way the crop definition works is very poor, it's the absolute basics, it works but it's awkward, and we will be adding crop regions you can just drag around on the 3D Preview, and hopefully multiple crop regions as well.

Regards,

Jo

Tangled-Universe

Well I´m on XP but it doesn´t seem to matter  ;D
Multiple crops at the same time would be a really nice feature!

Martin

ovaflo

ok, well I guess i'll just have to work with it.

jo

Hi ovaflo,

Quote from: ovaflo on September 10, 2007, 07:03:45 PM

What do you mean? It works fine, there are no bugs, you just didn't quite understand how it works. If you need more help understanding it, let us know.

Regards,

Jo

JohnnyBoy

Ah, I see what you did now. Try using some other settings.

Like:
Crop left .25
Crop right 1
Crop bottom .25
Crop top 1

This should move the crop region away from the bottom left corner. Basically the crop left value should never be greater than the crop right value. The crop bottom value should always be less than the crop top value. Hope this helps.

Tangled-Universe

rcallicotte

Yes...<blabber, blabber, blabber> multiple crops.  Yes.  Yes. 

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 09, 2007, 06:03:14 AM
Multiple crops at the same time would be a really nice feature!

Martin
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Volker Harun

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 11, 2007, 04:14:14 PM
???
I guess that he means 'sabbern' like a dog that sees the bone it always dreamt of ;D

ovaflo

Quote from: jo on September 10, 2007, 07:51:24 PM
Hi ovaflo,

Quote from: ovaflo on September 10, 2007, 07:03:45 PM

What do you mean? It works fine, there are no bugs, you just didn't quite understand how it works. If you need more help understanding it, let us know.

Regards,

Jo

Oh im sorry.  I understand its user error.  I think I got it now. Thanks.  Alls I meant was I would have to play with it for awhile for me to completely understand it.

rcallicotte

Yes, neatly slobbering all over my desk.  Thank you.

Quote from: Volker Harun on September 11, 2007, 04:48:50 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on September 11, 2007, 04:14:14 PM
???
I guess that he means 'sabbern' like a dog that sees the bone it always dreamt of ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?