Waves again (again)

Started by Dune, August 30, 2016, 03:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 01, 2016, 09:43:33 AM
Very fast, no problem. The latest render took about half an hour, I think, detail 0.6, AA6 soft shadows. I don't use a compute terrain (just one compute normal), so that saves a lot.

where do you put the Compute Normal Ulco? Bottom of the Shader network just hooked on?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hetzen

That's a great landscape Ulco. Have you tried using a Get Normal through a surface shader to render out an image you can re-project and use to steer your vector displacement?

Hetzen

Fixed the overlapping normals and plugged it into a water shader and surface layer to see how long it would take to render which ended up being 1:08. I think that can be shaved down quite considerably once I start texturing this properly.

[attachimg=1]

Hetzen

Thanks Kadri.

Yes it does animate, but not properly. The curl does crash and it will be reasonably straight forward to apply an up splash to the displacement too. But there's some structural thinking to work out.

Kadri

Keep it up :) This is the first time i see a surface displaced in such a highly curved and close to a real wave in Terragen.

Hannes

Dune

Wow indeed! Terrific result Jon. And great that you can keep the masking. And thanks for the get normal idea, have to try that, though I'd prefer not to have to render something and reproject; it should all work in one go, preferably.
I think if you can keep the water shader out of the foam part, it will reduce render time considerably.

@Bobby; the compute normal was actually only used to do some lateral displacement to the rocky hills, so right after the first upward displacement and a displacement to scalar function + displacement shader. Then a surface shader with min slope and min height and some additional displacements, masked strata and an offset in the surface shader there. Then the seabed lowering, twice, through 2 sets of smooth steps (in which you can set the heights form the initial terrain displacement (after the displacement to scalar) to use for the areas where the seabed needs to lower, both leading to the water line to get the masks for the coastal and deeper waves (with a sinus multiplied to get the 'surf').

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

j meyer

Impressive results so far. 

mhaze

René

I never studied mathematics, but when I see this I wished I had. Sigh...