DKerosion in TG 4 (?).

Started by icarus51, September 20, 2016, 11:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icarus51

Hi guys,

I tried the dkerosion plugin with my new TG4 full. I saw a slow, very slow, Render view. After 7 minutes i don't manage seeing start the picture. The window is black with the tiny dots of the pre-render but nothing. At the end i gave up because it seems to me exaggerated wait more than 7 minutes to start (only) the rendering. Someone has had the same problem or is only my case?
Strangely, the PW and RTP are generated but with slowness and I am not getting error alerts. Question: bug or plugin to update?

Cheers.

Edit: I tried another time because i saw that this plugin worked in TG4 Beta. I deleted the plugin in TG4 and then i copied the plugin in TG4 Beta and pasted in TG4 Full. With surprise i  did notice that the plugin now works. The delay is about 3 minutes but depends on the size of Render View. What's the reason of this behaviour? I don't know. Perhaps a corrupted plugin (that deleted) or a conflict in the program...
Anyway, this is a solution waiting for updates of the plugin.
:D

Oshyan

The plugin should work in TG4 the same as TG3. There shouldn't be a speed difference, as far as I'm aware. The calculation time can be long, depending on settings, but it also uses a cache so it can be much faster after initial calculation.

- Oshyan

icarus51

Hi Oshyan,

In fact i' m wrong and you' re right. The plugin works but is slow to generate the window. Depends on size and complexity of picture. I've made several tests and i got times from 2-3 minutes to 8-9 minutes to start the render picture. At second test of same picture the speed is increased. I noticed that if " Supersample prepass" is checked the window is faster.

Another issue: I note an oddity. The arrows of translation in the PW, red, green and blue, sometimes are not enabled during the PW generation.  I have to reset the window and then return to utilize. I do not know why does this behaviour but it is annoying if I have to move the sun or other objects and the handlers don't respond.

bobbystahr

Quote from: icarus51 on September 24, 2016, 05:24:24 AM
Hi Oshyan,

In fact i' m wrong and you' re right. The plugin works but is slow to generate the window. Depends on size and complexity of picture. I've made several tests and i got times from 2-3 minutes to 8-9 minutes to start the render picture. At second test of same picture the speed is increased. I noticed that if " Supersample prepass" is checked the window is faster.

Another issue: I note an oddity. The arrows of translation in the PW, red, green and blue, sometimes are not enabled during the PW generation.  I have to reset the window and then return to utilize. I do not know why does this behaviour but it is annoying if I have to move the sun or other objects and the handlers don't respond.

I find that if I limit the Fractal Terran to a smallish, 3K square with the SSshader, and lose the noise in the displacement as the plug in wipes all that out anyway it works pretty good when applied to that using the SSshader as the plug in's mask as well as the terrain's...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

Yes, it is always best the keep the noise fractal octaves rather low, perhaps around 6-7 octaves as the erosion makes up for all of the lost detail by adding all it's own.