Great moving stream animation

Started by zaxxon, September 30, 2016, 03:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Those Pixar guy's seem to have it all down, don't they? One of my personal dreams at the start of my computer adventures was to create and animate moving streams with leaping fish. Animatek World Builder and Martin Hash Animator Apprentice combined on the old Amiga platform clearly wasn't going to get there.  Even with much more robust tools and hardware it's still a distant dream. But not for the Pixar folks. I don't know how many of y'all saw 'Brave' the Pixar movie (Disney) released in 2012. My wife and I treasure this one, and it has a very strong theme of Mother's and Daughter's (something we know first hand!). But the stream scene is just absolutely, totally, wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZYrYFBowi0&feature=youtu.be

The clip is in French, which makes it even cooler!  ;)

Kadri

In 1994 i had a scene in my mind with that kind of water...sigh  :o  ;D

Dune

Stunning. We still have the movie on the hard disk, but never came to see it. We will now. And I might as well stop experimenting with water in TG (sigh too).

René

What a great movie, enjoyable on so many levels. I love the painterly realism and the 'acting' is top notch.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 01, 2016, 02:58:01 AM
Stunning. We still have the movie on the hard disk, but never came to see it. We will now. And I might as well stop experimenting with water in TG (sigh too).

that water is awesome eh.....a specially designed for pixar application that likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars no doubt....I think you should simply take this as inspiration Ulco...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

PabloMack

Any of you guys seen "Dinosaur Train"? I found it amusing that the carnivore dinosaurs never eat the herbivore dinosaurs. They are all highly civilized toward each other in the show but the pteranodons do eat fish. To justify this, the creators are careful not to portray the fish as actors, otherwise they'd have to address why animals kill and eat each other to the children watching the show. The fish that are eaten always have this lifeless expression on their faces. If they ever had a fish as an actor "guest", the fish-eater actors would never regard them as food. This movie has the same kind of quality to it. An interesting "denial of reality" that kindergarten teachers try to teach the children then Marine sergeants have to train it right back out of them so that they can go to war. No wonder soldiers have difficulty trying to change modes and live with PTSD.

Dune

You're obviously right, but how soon must you start telling children the 'gruesome' (read: real)  bits of life? Perhaps from toddler age, might be a nice experiment, see how they grow up. They might not want to eat their fish or vegetables or anything  :P

Tangled-Universe

The water in this scene is absolutely stunning, especially on a big screen in cinema.

The Good Dinosaur also has amazing water sims in it.
Also water pouring down rocks etc.
Go see it, it's amazing as it depicts Tetons NP.

Quote from: bobbystahr on October 01, 2016, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: Dune on October 01, 2016, 02:58:01 AM

that water is awesome eh.....a specially designed for pixar application that likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars no doubt....I think you should simply take this as inspiration Ulco...

Pixar develops its own tools.
So in that regard you can either say it didn't cost them anything, since they didn't have to buy something, but on the other hand it cost them many many hours to develop this and those working hours represent a monetary value, of course.

zaxxon

As TU mentions, the water in "The Good Dinosaur" is 'amazing'! Another favorite on our home big screen (even better on the real big screen!). In addition Pixar created a 3D volumetric cloud system that is truly awesome along with some of the most beautiful natural environments ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYtJ1Ksi48Q

Dune

You're right, absolutely stunning. Thanks for the link, Doug.