River Preset

Started by Dune, October 21, 2016, 12:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I'm working on a procedural river preset (for NWDA, presumably), where the water has deposited higher banks and left low areas in its meandering business. The plain colored areas are masked and open to any adjustments.

yossam

zaxxon

Killer idea! Should be a "necessary" item for most of us here.

bobbystahr

As all of your offerings there, this could become a 'go to' preset and could save many much time...looking promising.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Lady of the Lake

Rumburak

I'm trying to create a river at the moment and that preset would be extremely helpful.  :)

Dune

I will add some more masking presets (perhaps for a road as well), and get this to NWDA one of these days.
With a few reseeds totally different, but still logical riverscapes should be possible, and adding details in specified surface shaders will change the whole appearance quite easily (do I sound like a salesman already  :P )
One more basic masked file render and some results from one POV, just added different stuff to different surface shaders:

bobbystahr

Not so much a salesman as an educator...looks promising.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

Nice, you've got one customer already!

fleetwood

Looks good and very useful.  8)

(I'm still unhappy  that Planetside chose to deprecate the "make river" heightfield option in such a way that old files that used it don't simply give a warning message, they crash Terragen immediately upon opening them . But then I was apparently the only one who used it. )

luvsmuzik

Quote from: fleetwood on October 23, 2016, 08:23:26 AM
Looks good and very useful.  8)

(I'm still unhappy  that Planetside chose to deprecate the "make river" heightfield option in such a way that old files that used it don't simply give a warning message, they crash Terragen immediately upon opening them . But then I was apparently the only one who used it. )

No, I used that feature too, fleetwood. I don't know why either.
That said, I am wondering Dune, when you make these presets, do you test them on units that the general public have, old stuff like a few of us still have, to see how they function? I love this program from day one, but don't know if it can always be used for just pleasure, or going in a new direction?

Either way I can piddle with what already works, but would hate to not use it at all.
Your efforts are outstounding yet again!

Kadri

Not an elegant solution but have you tried to edit the TGD files directly?
Although it wouldn't help much if you want the river and if it doesn't work at all in the newer versions.
Exporting from an old version as a heightfield, TER  file etc. might be easier maybe. 

zaxxon

This preset just keeps looking better and better, sign me up!