views

Started by archonforest, January 21, 2017, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

When I have lots of pops and individual object in the scene I cannot use the wire frame view as it slows down the computer very much. It would be nice to have an option where I can decide that this or that pop or individual object will be shown as wire frame but the rest stays as bounding box. This would not slow down the computer that much and would give that extra view that I miss time to time. (Sure I can deactivate all pops and keep only one but that takes time when we have lots of stuff...)

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Matt

You can. Every object and population has a dropdown that allows you to change its preview mode.

There are three places you can set this:

The parameter view for the object or populator.

The context menu in the 3D Preview ("Object Preview Mode ->") if you right-click on the object or population handle. This method has extra options not available on the parameter view.

The gear icon on the Objects node list allows you to apply changes to every object and population in the scene. You might use this to set everything to bounding box first, then you can turn on wireframe or textured mode for individual objects or pops afterwards.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

When using these per-object options, the display mode set in the button at the top of the 3D Preview is an overall limit, so you can still use that button to prevent it from displaying the higher quality modes at any time. To allow objects/pops to display whatever mode they are individually set to, set the 3D Preview to Textured.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Would it be possible to have an option to select a number of pop nodes in the node system and have a rightclick choice for display mode? Or a letter assigned to each mode, like you'd hit 'd' to disable the selected nodes. That would be much faster. I may put this up as feature request if so, as I'd use that option quite a lot.

archonforest

Thx Matt for the answer. That helped for sure. :)
Interested to see what u will say to Dune as he got a good idea there.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on January 22, 2017, 02:09:19 AM
Would it be possible to have an option to select a number of pop nodes in the node system and have a rightclick choice for display mode? Or a letter assigned to each mode, like you'd hit 'd' to disable the selected nodes. That would be much faster. I may put this up as feature request if so, as I'd use that option quite a lot.

Yes something like that would be great Ulco.

Hannes

Dune

Plenty of good ideas  ;)

Hannes

KlausK

If I may chime in since viewing options are discussed here there is another "issue" I wonder about:
if you take a look at the attached picture you can see that I reduced all I could in viewing scene elements.
What is left are the pivot point (?) axes. The only way to get rid of those is to "Hide all objects" - which is obviously
not what I would want because that would hide the group of characters too.
Does anyone know of a way to do this?
and
can we have the possibility to change the size of the visual representation of the pivot point and the move, rotate and scale handles, please?

Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Why would you want to hide the pivot points? That's the point you need to select if you want to move either of these.

KlausK

What I meant actually was to ask for selectively hiding all the helper displays without hiding the object itself.
In a scene with lots of objects close together it is not really possible to select via viewport because pivot points overlap each other.
As far as I know I am not able to selectively hide objects - it`s all or none, or is it? In my workflow it would help declutter the view.
I have opened another thread here http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,22739.0.html which is about something similar.
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

archonforest

If you click on the node of the obj and hit D on the keyboard it will hide that object.

KlausK

Ah, missed that. Thank you, archonforest. This is at least a quick way of getting some space in the viewport.
Cheers, Klaus

Oshyan

To select specific objects when there is overlap you can also right-click and select from a list. Very handy.

- Oshyan