Weather Front (Real Pics)

Started by Harvey Birdman, September 17, 2007, 09:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

I just snapped these from in front of the house. I'm afraid my pictures don't do it justice; I never have gotten as good with the digital camera as I was with my old Olympus SLR...

old_blaggard

Beautiful images and clouds, camera issues notwithstanding.  If only we could do those in Terragen 2... ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Beautiful photos, Harvey.  Wonderful weather.  One simply (it seems) can't recreate moments of nature like this.  Too much at once.  Wonderful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Glad you guys like 'em.

It was pretty trippy. The clouds weren't moving across the images from one side to another the way the images seem to imply. Instead, they condensed out of what had been clear air. It started in the distance, then fairly quickly this wall formed and just kept getting longer, extending in our direction. I think a warm air mass was moving in and the coalescing cloud indicated where it was colliding with a stationary colder air mass.

It was pretty cool.

:)

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, it was a little alarming. Like I said, they formed so quickly... but it broke up and dissipated almost as quickly as it formed. It was weird.

:)

NWsenior07

Impressive clouds for sure. They are suprisingly low for such a large formation.

BPauba

Where do you live Harvey, and when were these taken? Just today I was in my sisters hospital room (don't worry, it isnt anything bad, I am an uncle now :D) and out of nowhere this huge wall cloud comes from the west and it was awe inspiring... To make it better we were on the eighth floor of the building! Maybe we got a little bit of the same storm :).

Harvey Birdman

I live about halfway between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming, right where the plains hit the little finger of Rockies that divides the two. The elevation here is just under 7,000 ft (~2100 meters), and there are peaks around 9,000 feet tall just a few miles away. They were taken maybe 10 minutes before I posted them...  I think I'm about 7 hours behind GMT, so it was about 6 in the evening here.